cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook cannot connect to Exchange

donka
Grafter

Outlook cannot connect to Exchange

I have an issue if I try to work from home. My work laptop connects to my home Plus.net adsl fine and I can access the internet. I can connect to my work network and authenticate however I cannot use Outlook. Outlook just sits with a 'Trying to connect to Exchange' message. If I log on from my sisters home network I can use Outlook for my work just fine so I know the laptop and accounts are all fine.
This used to work previously from my home but seems I have had this issue for at least the past 6 - 12 months; I'm unsure when it first started as I don't work from home often. I have tried putting the laptop in the DMZ on my router, restoring my router to factory defaults and even tried a different work laptop but the issue remains.
I'm wondering if there are any ports blocked by Plus.net that would be affecting this? I don't have any other issues with my home broadband and most other services work just fine when I am connected to my works network from home such as MS Lync, remote desktop to servers etc. so this appears to be specific to Outlook & Exchange.
Any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Outlook cannot connect to Exchange

What is the Plusnet Firewall set to?
donka
Grafter

It is set to off. Never seen that page before.
myredhotcar
Grafter

Don't use it myself but the following link may be helpful https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/
donka
Grafter

Thanks for the help. I tried another router and Outlook was working fine so seems to be some issue with the router. Not sure what as I factory reset it and I still had the issue.
myredhotcar
Grafter

At least it works now  Smiley
donka
Grafter

Yup. Time to buy a new router methinks.
myredhotcar
Grafter

The page which I linked you to should spew out info which could be helpful troubleshooting, so any more issues try that.
donka
Grafter

Thanks but all the settings are tied up in the works Win7 build. Besides, if a vanilla router doesn't work then I suspect it is a compatibility issue between the laptop hardware and the router. I tried a replacement laptop which was the same make and model and the issue persisted. I never had the issue with the previous laptop which was another make.
dick:quote