Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ouch! at banding! Take it away! :)

gyre
Grafter

Ouch! at banding! Take it away! :)

Hi folks.
Storytime... hope you're sitting comfortably... Smiley
I've got a line that's about 5-6km long from the exchange.  It's not a bad line, but sometimes either incoming calls or perhaps using the house phone cause either an immediate resync, or a slight dip in the snr margin for the duration of the call.  Sometimes I get spurious errors, but they clear up.  But mostly it's stable enough.
With a 9dB target SNR margin I can easily sync at 2272kbps.  With 6dB, maybe a bit further.
Recently I asked if I could have my target SNR margin lowered to 6dB, but was told that due to errors on my line, there was a banding added that limited me to 2272kbps.  The plusnet agent said they'd send around a BT guy to see what's causing the errors.
So, I had a BT chap visit the house on Monday and he couldn't see any problems my end... he did replace my adslnation filtered faceplate with an equivalent BT one just in case.  He also re-spliced the wires outside of the house in case they were getting corroded.  After he'd done this, he said there might be a problem elsewhere along the length of the line that was causing the intermittent drops on ringing, but didn't seem interested in fixing it.
Later that night, my line started accumulating errors and finally did a resync.  The banding was adjusted to around 1100kbps, giving a resultant 17-18db SNR margin.  (I did try lowering it to 6dB using a router tweak, but it didn't increase the sync above 1100kbps, that's why I think it has been banded).
Many hours later, the next night, the line dropped again, once, and the banding is now 576kbps.
I understand the point of the banding is to give a nice reliable connection... your router is forced to sync within a given kbps range... but to be honest, having a couple of drops in 2 days causing me to get 1/4 of my download rate is just nuts.  I'd rather live with the momentary resyncs.
Is there a way to get the banding removed, permanently?
My line has been far worse than this in the past year or two.  Why is it only now that banding is being imposed?  Is it that plusnet accidently moved me to adsl2+ a few weeks ago while enabling interleaving?  I've been on 21CN since the beginning of the year, but as ADSL1.
Thanks!
-- gyre --
5 REPLIES 5
gyre
Grafter

Re: Ouch! at banding! Take it away! :)

Plusnet folks, could you please look at my corresponding ticket.  It appears to have died in a black hole Smiley
Thanks.
-- gyre --
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Same old Story m8 check this http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,87944.16.html I rest my case.
After he'd done this, he said there might be a problem elsewhere along the length of the line that was causing the intermittent drops on ringing, but didn't seem interested in fixing it.

BT attitude you have broadband in your house job done, put a new box on that obviously wasn't the problem but it's something to put on the time sheet  Roll_eyes
He even threw you a bone by saying it MIGHT be something else, now your in the Black Hole between PN and BT, one doesn't care the other can't really do much about it anyway and at some point your equipment will start get the blame.
It's Dark in here isn't it.
If you check that post I linked the ip profile is being set low because of random disconnections, I have the exact same problem getting one about every 4/5 days usually at the early hours of the morning which drops my profile down sometimes by 500 kbps at a time so if I get 2 in one week I lose 1meg in download speed. Like your I'd rather just put up with the disconnections, the only reason I know about them is when I realise my speeds dropped again.
gyre
Grafter

I know it's not my equipment.  I have 2 plusnet-branded 585v7s, a 585v6, 2 DG834Gv3s, a DG834Gv4, a 2700HG, a 510v4... 3 different modem cables... 3 different filtered faceplates, 5 different filters... a properly filtered power supply strip etc...
But I'm mostly patient.  I can always use my three-branded usb 3g dongle for Internet access as a backup Smiley
-- gyre --
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The main problem here is that your connection is dropping very frequently, despite the banding. We need to get to the root cause of the drops before we can have the banding removed. For your information I've attached a picture of your connection logs, then red/green markers are the connection dropping and reconnecting, purple is the connection staying up.
The Faults Team now have this issue in hand on ticket 34729538 and will contact you as soon as we have an update.
gyre
Grafter

The drops before midday Monday were the BT engineer testing etc.
The drops on Tuesday were mostly me testing at 5am the 1100kbps banding that had been introduced by a drop a little bit earlier.
Same on Wednesday.
As you can see, I've pretty much given up testing now Smiley
It's a pity the system can't distinguish between a drop and me rebooting the router Smiley
-- gyre --