cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordered and less than an hour got probs!!!

Kazbah
Grafter

Re: Ordered and less than an hour got probs!!!

YAY finally online with Plusnet, had an hour with nothing but I blame Tiscali! Just to wait for phone to activat with Plusnet now. Just one thing, i seem to hav lost some sped, download speed just showing4749kbps and upload 200kbps, download was 5076kbps and upload was 369kbps at same time friday? I'm not too fussed as the overall running of the net seems fine just hope it doesn't go any lower than this. I'm assuming these are about the speeds i'll always get?
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Check your S/N ratio Margin which should be 6db unles you have a noist line or have suffered glitches in the last month.
It may also be possible that you are back in a "learning period" of 10 days where the DSLAM automatically tunes your connection for best speed. It is best to leave your Router switched on during this period and re-start it every 2-3 days around mid-day to allow it to re-sync.
What is your current SNR Margin?
Kazbah
Grafter

Could you just confirm exactly where i'll find the SNR margin please. Im assuming its in the router settings
Wheel_nut
Grafter

If your Router is a PlusNet/ Thomson, open a Browser and go to http://192.168.1.254
Fron the Sidebar select Broadband Connection and from the dropdown, DSL Connection
Look at the toolbar at the RHS and click on Details.
If not a Thomson, what is it?
Kazbah
Grafter

Im using a Belkin router
Wheel_nut
Grafter

IIRC, the Belkin URL is http://192.168.1.1
You will need to follow your nose from there. Smiley
Kazbah
Grafter

Ok, thanks. If its the noise margin on the ADSL section its currently at 5.5, was 5.1 earlier so if it's that im assuming its good its rising?
Wheel_nut
Grafter

At this time of night, 5db is OK. What are your Sync speeds and Attenuation stats on the Router?
Were the speeds you posted earlier from a Speedtester?
Kazbah
Grafter

Downstream    Upstream
Data rate (Kbps)
7424                     448
Noise margin (dB)
5.8                        25.0
Output power (dBm)
19.7               11.9
Attenuation (dB)
36.0                 22.0
Hope this means more to you than me! The speeds i posted were from Plusnet's speedtester
Wheel_nut
Grafter

You should get about 80% to 85%  of your sync speed as actual Data Transfer speed on a good day with a fair wind. Try running speed tests at off-peak periods and see if the speed changes. Note though that midnight being the start of the off-peak period triggers all the download bots which the geeks use to get best use of their free usage period.
Your stats look good and very similar to mine but I am on the PRO Profile so would expect a better data rate than you are seeing.
Kazbah
Grafter

Ok, thanks for your help Wheel_nut, guess i'll have to assume (hope) my rapidshare link are downloading slooowwlllyyy due to been within the 1st 10 days. I sure hope so coz its mega slooowww  Undecided
James
Grafter

Hi Kazbah,
When you say slow, how slow do you mean?
It's classified as a download site (Rapidshare that is), and as such we rate limit the speeds at some points of the day.
Kazbah
Grafter

I used to pull approx 700kbps with Tiscali at all times and last night it was slowly filtering in and struggling to get beyond 150kbps, if i was unlucky it got right down to 50kbps! In the end i gave it up as a bad job and continued it this morning and managed a respectable 600kbps roughly.
James
Grafter

Right.  Glad to hear it's working better today Smiley
Kazbah
Grafter

That was this morning though, haven't dared to try since dinnertime lol. Would the speed decreases you set affect sites such as utorrent badly? I was coming in at between 200-400kbps until 12.00 then it suddenly dropped and wont go above about 70kbps now? And also, ive had to restart my modem 3 times already today since half 7 is this normal? By restart I mean switch it off at plug and turn it back on again, i keep losing connection