cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimal wifi coverage of optical fibre connectivity - advice needed

dmtelf

Optimal wifi coverage of optical fibre connectivity - advice needed

I'm trying to come up with a optimal wifi coverage design for my 3 floor house for when Plusnet install optical fibre in my house this Friday 26th July.
I would really appreciate some advice on the best way of setting up a home network for optimal wifi coverage given the range of networking equipment to select from & the current location of the master socket.
Available equipment:
1 x Technicolor TG582n - from Plusnet
1 x Draytek Vigor 2820n with extended range aerials - primary router, was used for ADSL until now
2 x Draytek Vigor 2800vg with standard aerials - currently unused
1 x Huawei WS320 wireless repeater - currently unused
1 x AirPort Express 802.11n - currently unused
House layout:
Loft - this is where 99% of my computer gear lives, including my NAS which plugs into the Vigor 2820.
2nd floor - master socket is here in kids' bedroom - not ideal.
1st floor - most laptops here often have poor connectivity to the Vigor 2820 in the loft.
I was originally thinking:
1) primary connection -> Vigor 2820 with the Technicolor TG582n plugged into the WAN port of the Vigor 2820.
2) configure a Vigor 2800 to be a wifi repeater (how?) & put them on the 1st & 2nd floors. 
Would I need to have the master socket moved from the kid's bedroom on the 2nd floor to the loft & could this be done by the optical fibre installer this Friday or is it something I'd have to sort out separately myself before or after the fibre has been set up & connected?
Thanks.
DMTelf
3 REPLIES 3
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Optimal wifi coverage of optical fibre connectivity - advice needed

I would do as you suggested, but plug in to one of the normal lan ports not the wan port.
Or if the Vigor has a wan port and can do ppoe then use it instead of the pn router.
As to moving the socket, did you ask for the extension as part of the install? If not they may do it, depends on the engineer, if you did then they will run a cable from the socket to the new modem.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fisrt, you don't need the TG582n, the 2820n is a dual WAN router so configure WAN2 for pppoe and connect it directly to the BT modem.
Then its just a matter of where to site the modem ( and 2820 ) ? The installer (BT openreach) should install a data extension kit if requested.
Depending on the engineer you get, they will usually move the master to an existing extension ( may need plying with tea & bickies! ).
You could also leave the master where it is, put the modem there and run a cat5e cable to wherever you want the 2820n.
I'm not sure that anwers your questions completely but hopefully it gives something to think about and ask more detailed questions...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

You should have asked for the master socket to be moved when you placed your order. However, if you're really nice to the BTOR engineer he may still oblige. Have the kettle on & a huge cake ready to serve!  Wink