cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openreach

craigyoung
Grafter

Openreach

My PN BB is due to be switched on on Sunday.  Yesterday I came home to an Openreach card saying they need access to "remove PR gain devices" - no contact details on the card but it said but to contact my "communications provider".  Is this on behalf of PN - I didn't have any notification they were coming.  It could be BT for all I know, or Sky who I was previously with.
I have raised a ticket ( ID: 22781109 ) but need to urgently sort this, as I am not at home during the week.
Can anyone let me know me as to how to arrange a revisit if this is to do with BB?  Many thanks.
16 REPLIES 16
James
Grafter

Re: Openreach

I've asked one of our Provisioning Analysts to pick up on this for you.
itsme
Grafter

A PR (pair) gain device is also known as DACS. This is to share one line to 2 users (phones). BB will not work on DACS lines so this has to be removed. If you phone bill is sent by BT then your communication provider is BT retail and you will need to phone their support line, believe this is 151.
Normally DACS devices are located outside of the premises, go here to see if you recognise any of the boxes, if so is it fitted inside?
James
Grafter

You will occasionally get interior DACS, which (obviously) require engineer access.
For reference.
craigyoung
Grafter

Thanks guys - didn't expect such prompt and useful replies! Hopefully the start of a happy relationship with PN.
atbs1
Grafter

I had, before I joined +net, a DACS box, after I joined here, and went to BB, there was a problem. After BT removed the DACS box and fixed the wet joint in the road outside my house - at the instigation of +net - all was resolved! The DACS box was inactive, but the BT engineer said that it should have been removed when BB was installed!
James
Grafter

They normally are, but sometimes they aren't detected as part of the activation.  Which generally means that BT didn't have a record of it on thier preliminary checks Smiley
craigyoung
Grafter

The really annoying thing about this is that BT have no record of asking Openreach to pay a visit - when they clearly have.  So I think I have to face facts that my broadband won't actually work at the weekend once it has been activated, but CS did promise that they would then get on to BT to get them to do the necessary work.
Still - in a world where it takes three months to get a sofa delivered, I suppose I shouldn't complain about a couple of weeks for Broadband.  Even if I will be sitting on the floor when I use it.  Undecided
craigyoung
Grafter

My due activation date (saturday) has been and gone - apparently the line is not ready.  I've raised a ticket (22781109) but need a a quick respone as a) I need BB at home and b) if this is the related to the dreaded Openerach and removing DACs from inside the house then someone is at home today but then not until the weekend, and this could drag on.
Cheers.
James
Grafter

Hi Craig,
I've asked someone to give them another poke for you.
craigyoung
Grafter

Cheers James.
alanskea
Dabbler

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for BT to do something, I was meant to get BB on 13th August, but there is a "tied pair issue" at my exchange, which BT still haven't fixed, and its almost been a month since they discovered it. BT are useless, I suspect that if I had been trying to get onto BT BB, then they would have fixed it within hours, but seeing as I am using a competitor, they don't care.
itsme
Grafter

Is a tied pair the same as an ISP tag? If so it's the previous BB provider not releasing the line for others to use.
alanskea
Dabbler

I'm not sure, because no one has explained what it is. That would make sense though.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

A "tied pair of wires" i.e your phone line connected to the exchange has a problem.
This is not the same as the ISP tag which is just an text indicator on your record in BT's database(s)