cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openreach to trial Fibre to the Premise in Brownfield sites

michaelmann

Re: Openreach to trial Fibre to the Premise in Brownfield sites

Thanks for the info, but I had this paper on the day it was issued.  It arises from a series of questions posed by a group in Milton Keynes
klyne
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
@michaelmann, AFAIK we've no plans at present to take part in the FTTP trials.

Is there a reason for non participation in the Milton Keynes trials, I would certainly volunteer? Unfortunately the Openreach question/answer session gave no real geographic indication of the areas that will benefit from the trials or the wider implementation if they are successful. Perhaps the thought of getting a connection with a speed greater than 1mb in Great Linford is a pipe dream!
David
michaelmann

I cannot understand why Plusnet as a subsidiary of BT is not automatically involed in trials as important as this one.  I have been trying to find out which ISPs are likey to be involved, but with no real success.  I have a "rumour" from an unquotable BT source that Talktalk is involved, but thats as far as I have been able to go.  For a trial that is supposed to be starting this month time is running out.
mal0z
Grafter

Tricky one in my view. yes it would be nice if PN were involved in these early trials, but as it would only help a small percentage of PN's user base - it could be argued that as PN are part of BT - let big brother spend their money and resources doing the trials - and let PN spned their money on other things for now that would benefit the larger percentage of users. Then when the trial is done, and ready for production roleout - PN could join in.
pjone9
Dabbler

Perhaps some people participating in this thread simply do not know what poor broadband connectivity we have in Milton Keynes.  I've been a Pusnet customer since broadband has been available in MK (2003 I think).  For me the issue is simple.  If Plusnet do not support this trial I will move to a Communications Provider who is.
klyne
Grafter

Good post. It seemed that PlusNet was keen to take part in other trials like Muswell Hill so why not MK?  It seems there is a danger of Plus Net being left out in the cold. People in parts of MK  are so fed up with the terrible broadband service (speed) that I am sure many will want to go to those ISP's who show some commitment to the City.
David
adie:quote
mal0z
Grafter

One wonders why MK is so bad - as all the infrastructure was built about early 1970's wasn't it - and all underground cables. ? ?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

TPON
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Not fair.
My parents live in Basingstoke and just got FTTC, they are not even on the internet!!
I have a 48dB line on ADSL2+ (reported as 42dB on my cheap horrible router), basically no benefit on ADSL2 (21CN).
Gimme FTTP now please.
BUT I now get around 5000 download speed on BT speedtester on a line estimated to give 3.5mb so PN are working in excess of expectations already BUT I need more speed and I want it NOW.
Please, someone, tell BT that Weston Favell exchange in Nothampton is the one most in need of FTTC. Wink
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
pjone9
Dabbler

Quote from: mal0z
One wonders why MK is so bad - as all the infrastructure was built about early 1970's wasn't it - and all underground cables. ? ?

Take a look at the following site http://www.bb4mk.org/
(Make sure you page down to the Future Speeds section)
"Don't assume telephone cable are laid in straight lines. They aren't! The routing was determined by the roads that were in place as the city was being built.
in the 1970's the telephone network for MK was designed with 2 large exchanges. One in Fishermead, the other in Emerson Valley.  But fewer buildings means longer line lengths; that's OK for voice, but not broadband."
Currently getting 992k downstream which is high speed for here!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and they used Aluminium and not copper