cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openreach fiber modem....Do we really need it?

warbleeder
Grafter

Openreach fiber modem....Do we really need it?

is there anything to replace this junk with....
I.E a router and modem all in one like Thomsons used to be?
all this openreach crap is... is a switch to convert RJ11 to RJ45.... so its using power and im having to pay for crap i dont wanna be using ....
For a RJ11 to RJ45 converter its stupidly big and im powering 2 devices when i dont really need to... and at the mo i have no choice but to use and yet i dont own the item BT do and i have to pa their electric bill?
15 REPLIES 15
itsme
Grafter

Re: Openreach fiber modem....Do we really need it?

Bit more than a switch as it name suggest Modem, MOdulate DEModulate
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Specifically a VDSL modem; VDSL in, Ethernet out (and vice versa upstream).
This device says, I think, that it incorporates a VDSL modem http://www.billion.com/product/vdsl2/BiPAC8200N-wireless-N-VDSL2-firewall-router.html so you might be able to use it in place of both the supplied boxes (if this is allowed).
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

This also incorporates a VDSL2 modem (and a whole lot more): http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/products/FRITZBox_Fon_WLAN_7390/index.php?tab=1 and yes, it works on Plusnet FTTC (Have to keep the BT modem just in case there's ever a fault as I believe the BT modem allows specific remote testing), probably against the rules using 3rd party equipment but I have no direct contract with BT Openreach/Wholesale so not sure how they'd enforce their rules - nothing I can find in Plusnet Ts & Cs to stop me using my own equipment though.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adagio
Grafter

Quote from: w23
This also incorporates a VDSL2 modem (and a whole lot more): http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/products/FRITZBox_Fon_WLAN_7390/index.php?tab=1 and yes, it works on Plusnet FTTC

You would need to save a lot of electricity to pay for that  Wink
w23
Pro

True, but there's a potential saving in telephone call charges.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
warbleeder
Grafter

ok but legally if plusnet and bt say ( I HAVE TO HAVE IT) i should get money towards my electric bill as the rest of the customers?
if you all plusnet you get told you have to use the BT modem
i get charged line rental then i have to pay for their equipment
fair enough its not too much but left on 24/7/365 soon adds up
w23
Pro

I'm pretty sure that if they paid the electricity cost of running 'their' modem (about £5 a year I estimate), they'd just add it to the cost of the service anyway (+ profit margin no doubt) so it's probably better to just stick 10p a week in a jam jar to pay the running cost of the modem and enjoy the relative value for money of the FTTC service.  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@warbleeder
If you choose to take a fibre service (from us or any other ISP) then surely you're agreeing to pay for the electricity on the equipment to receive the service into your house? Supplying equipment to receive a service is something that we and pretty much every other ISP do. This has been the same on ADSL for many many years.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
dfunked
Grafter

If that 8200N is anything like the 7800N, then it might end up sucking the same amount of power as the as 2 devices together anyway... (from my understanding, the 7800N uses between 7W and 9W)
Blim
Grafter

junk? The openreach vdsl modem has a dual core processor!!
warbleeder
Grafter

it is junk when the bt engi that instaled ur fiber gives u the wrong moem so for the last 6 months i have faulty/incorrect equiptment
congrats again BT
flaminmoses
Grafter

if you google the said modem there is a way of using it as a standalone modem/router
i havent tried it as its a bit over my head and i might mess it up lol
i want to use it to cut out the middleman when using my ps3 (using the second ethernet port) so i can get a nat 1
if you want wireless then you will have to use a router with it
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

it is junk when the bt engi that instaled ur fiber gives u the wrong moem so for the last 6 months i have faulty/incorrect equiptment

I'm not sure that a fault modem means it's the wrong piece of kit. Any electrical item can become faulty.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: flaminmoses
i want to use it to cut out the middleman when using my ps3 (using the second ethernet port) so i can get a nat 1

The LAN 2 port is disabled on the OR modem.