cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openreach engineers & anti-competitiveness

adamcookeuk
Grafter

Openreach engineers & anti-competitiveness

I had an OR engineer (actually a Kelly Comms chap) come today to install my FTTC connection and everything seems to be working well but I have some concerns.
After he had plugged in the modem and checked for a sync he mentioned that his responsibilities were now over. He said that if I was using BT for broadband, he'd be able to test everything and make sure it all working. He did actually go on to unpack and plug the PN router in but that was it and he left. I'm a technical chap so this wasn't a concern of mine and I immediately planned to remove the PN router and replace it with my own trusty DD-WRT box.
He was quite critical of the PN hardware which I thought was pretty unprofessional. If I wasn't already aware of this, I would be quite concerned and left with the impression BT would be a better choice than PN.
Is it standard practice for OR staff to try and belittle non-BT ISPs and excerpt the benefits of using BT over your chosen ISP? If this is the case, I would be very concerned at the anti-competitive nature of this agreement and I'm sure OFCOM might have something to say about it.
11 REPLIES 11
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Openreach engineers & anti-competitiveness

Thanks for letting us know how the installation went.
The engineer, when installing FTTC, is there to ensure and prove sync, it's not the engineers responsibility to ensure that the router is set up and working, that's kind of our job to ensure that you're able to connect to the service. One of the reasons we use the 'Easy Setup' is just so that you can plug the router in and it should just work.
With regards to the engineers comments, from what you've mentioned, they are entirely unprofessional and isn't something that any engineer should be saying. If you have any specific information about the engineer, I'd be willing to take this to our suppliers to see what we can get done about it.
adamcookeuk
Grafter

I completely understand his comment about just ensuring a sync. It was more that he said that if I were with BT he would be doing more to help and setting up BT equipment on their behalf.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

BT may, perhaps pay more the extended support for this, I couldn't be sure as I don't have that level of visibility unfortunately.
I completely see your point though. Did you catch the engineers name at all?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BTOR offer two type of install service.  One is just to get the BT modem online, the other is to install the CPE as well (Managed install option).  Plusnet only pay for the basic service, BT Retail pay for the full install.
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/fibretothecabinet/fttc/downloads...

The comments about the router were unprofessional...
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

When I had fibre install the OR engineer said BT and TalkTalk pay for the extended support rather than just checking for sync.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

My BTOR engineer did everything, including making sure that the router was connecting correctly.  Smiley
adamcookeuk
Grafter

A managed install option makes sense and explains things well Smiley
I'm afraid I didn't catch the name I'm afraid. I've had a text and call from Kelly checking on things since though so I'd imagine they know it. I don't think he was passing judgement about the actual router itself, more the configuration process which PN use when compared to the BT processes. Something about it taking 20 minutes or so to start working after they plug it in etc... I've no idea how long the auto config takes as I didn't wait for it to happen.
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

this is an interesting document from openreach... it explains to engineers what is expected of them  https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/aboutus/equivalence/downloads/Key_messages_for_GEA_FTTC_engine...
Ian
HPsauce
Pro

Particularly interesting, given the various "no shows" commented on in this forum is:
We all know how frustrating it is to be sitting at home waiting for a delivery or some sort of engineer visit. If you give advance notice of the time you’re going to arrive it means the end user can pop to the shop or even walk the dog.
So, when you’ve picked up the job, ring ahead to let the end user know you’re coming.

And....
Also remember to take a photo of the premises (the front of the house, including the door) If you have a smartphone with a camera, and send the picture via the ‘User no access’ app on your phone. Also leave an A108 card through the post-box
Terranova667
Pro

like i said in another thread the engineer i had to install my Fibre service did the full works, ie installed modem and face plate, tested sync to the cab, connected router tested sync to modem, tested line for errors made sure land line was still working.  i guess he didn't have to but did any way, I guess It comes down to who you get as to what gets done. 
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Terranova667
i guess he didn't have to but did any way
Oh yes he did! Read that document.
The many reports of those that don't are the concern.  Cry
e.g. it says:
The standard product includes:
• Install an external or internal data extension kit up to 30m from the master socket
• Move the master socket
• Change an existing voice extension socket to become the master socket and make the original master socket simply a voice extension (make sure you reconnect all existing extensions and leave them working)
• Or a combination of these.