Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenDns & plusnet fibre

jan
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

OpenDns & plusnet fibre

Hi all,
I have only been a customer for a week or so, so far.  I am using my Billion 7800n  as my home router.
With my previous ISP I used OpenDNS rather than their own DNS servers. Altough I did sometimes switch to the IPS's and Google's DNS when doing some testing. So I am familiar with how to set up the DNS on the 7800n
Since I have been connected to Plusnet, I notice that it doesn't seem to make a difference what I set my dns to in the 7800n.  I get no stats in the opendns stats page and sites I have set to be blocked are still perfectly accessible.
There are two places you can set DNS servers in the 7800n ;
1) Wan Profile - this is the connection settings and you can select automatic DNS or provide IP's yourself. This is where I usually define the opendns servers.
2) LAN -> DHCP Server - Here there is a checkbox to use the router as DNS server - if you uncheck it you can enter DNS IPs here too.
I usually use method 1), but I have since tried using method 2)  but no luck.
Anyone have any idea why my router's DNS server settings seem to be getting ignored?
cheers,
Jan
[EDIT]
Just a correction - I don't get zero stats from OpenDNS but after 7 days of 18/7 browsing, streaming, downloading by everyons in the house the only stats that appear in OpenDNS PTR type requests to *.in-addr.arpa.
I have quadruple checked that the OpenDNS network IP matches my plusnet assigned IP address.
25 REPLIES 25
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: OpenDns & plusnet fibre

Some Qns:
Do you have a fixed IP - if not, how do you get the OpenDNS IP entry to follow Plusnets issued address when it changes?
What does your PC have for DNS? (ipconfig /all on most Windows systems, in a terminal window)
Do you get an OpenDNS response when you enter an invalid URL - eg bbcd.com?
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
jan
Rising Star

Hi there,
1) IP is not fixed, but it hasn't changed for 6 days, so I should have stats for those days.
2) Pc is configured for IP & DNS assigned from the router. IPconfig gives the router as Gateway / DNS server
3) bbcd.com - This one had me worried!
    It redirects to searchremagnified.com which is a scam search engine that malicious infections sometimes redirect to,  I have checked my hosts file, registry and scanned for malware & viruses. So I guess bbcd.com is an actual domain with a redirect - you might not want to use that example for others in the future. other mistyped sites return the normal server not found -  but my OpenDNS settings are set to not show the guide for unknown / mistyped urls.
However I have set it to block social networks (through opendns) but twatter, and facefeck are still available.
cheers,
kmilburn
Grafter

Another thing to try...
Open a command prompt and run nslookup, this should identify the DNS server that the computer is actively using for name lookups.
BTW,  bbcd.com does resolve to a usable address.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

i'm on fibre and use OpenDNS and my stats are recorded OK, though I'm not using my 7800N at the moment, but when I was using it on ADSL my stats were record fine.
However, I do use a static IP.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
PeeGee
Pro

Bother, I just pick things at random - should have checked "bbcd.com" with nslookup  Shocked
^**&^%$&^ search engine is intervening in FF and don't get the OpenDNS page with error URLs (haven't fully configured this system but nslookup is responding with the OpenDNS "error" IP of hit-nxdomain.opendns.com - used "bbcd.com.me.uk" this time  Roll_eyes )
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
jan
Rising Star

Quote from: kmilburn
Another thing to try...
Open a command prompt and run nslookup, this should identify the DNS server that the computer is actively using for name lookups.

Will do shortly (currently connected directly to the fibre modem doing some speed tests.
Quote from: kmilburn
BTW,  bbcd.com does resolve to a usable address.

er.. this is worrying. If I type any other garbage address I get server not found as expected. if I type bbc.com I get redirected to the previously mentioned search hijack site. Nothing displays presumably thanks to noscript & adblock, but it is dodgy behaviour that shouldn't occur if everthing is configured correctly.
since typing the above I have typed dozens of garbage addresses & got server not found, but always get a redirect with bbcd.com. I have checked the hosts file (which I frequently manually modify to loopback to development sites I have on my machine and there is nothing unexpected or dodgy in there! not sure how the hell it is doing this  Undecided
[edit] ignore [revious two paragraphs - I mis-read "does" as "doesn't" lol  at least I know my hosts file is clean Smiley
jan
Rising Star

connected back through the 7800n agian.
I'm not really familiar with nslookup, what command tells me what DNS servers domains are being resolved through?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Open a command window and type:
nslookup www.bbc.co.uk
The first line of the response will show you the server that has responded (should be your router)
Server:  Gargoyle.lan
Address:  192.168.5.254
Name:    www.bbc.net.uk
Address:  212.58.246.90
Aliases:  www.bbc.co.uk

You can force your PC to use a different server by appending the server address/name to the command
e.g  Google
nslookup www.bbc.co.uk 8.8.8.8
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8
Name:    www.bbc.net.uk
Address:  212.58.246.90
Aliases:  www.bbc.co.uk

OpenDNS
nslookup www.bbc.co.uk 208.67.222.222
Server:  resolver1.opendns.com
Address:  208.67.222.222
Name:    www.bbc.co.uk.lan
Address:  67.215.65.132

jan
Rising Star

cheers,
so the nslookups basically show that my machine is using my router for the DNS.
The router is telling me its primary DNS is 208.67.222.222 (OpenDNS)
but the OpenDNS filtering is not working and the stats only show the results in my OP.
I have just been messing with my router & modem to diagnose a speed issue so the IP has changed - but tomorrow's opendns stats should confirm they are blank apart from the PTR requests.
pwatson
Rising Star

Silly question, but are Stats & Logs enabled in OpenDNS?
jan
Rising Star

It's never silly to ask  ;), but yes - from the OP
"[EDIT]
Just a correction - I don't get zero stats from OpenDNS but after 7 days of 18/7 browsing, streaming, downloading by everyons in the house the only stats that appear in OpenDNS PTR type requests to *.in-addr.arpa.

"
adie:quote
PeeGee
Pro

So, your computer is using the router but you do not seem to get to OpenDNS  Huh
Do you have the secondary server set to an OpenDNS server (eg 208.67.220.220) or to Plusnet? I use Plusnet on the basis that if the primary doesn't respond I want a different route for the secondary  Smiley
jan
Rising Star

primary  & secondary are both set to relevant opendns servers.

I am at a loss. with my previous ISP (using ADSL2) setting the router to use opendns worked fine.
The 7800n is connected via the EWAN port to the fibre modem - but the supplied techgear is basically the same set-up and I have seen threads where people successfully use google or OpenDNS instead of the plus net DNS.

• So, as far as all the hardware at my end is concerned I am using OpenDNS.

• My OpenDNS account is configured to the correct IP

• but the filters I have applied (and which worked with my previous ISP) do not work & the stats only show 5 requests for *.in-addr.arpa in a week in which we used 95gb of general browsing, streaming, gaming etc...

Does the fibre modem require any configuration to use alternate DNS?
pwatson
Rising Star

The BTOR modem plays no part in DNS lookups.
I don't use the OpenDNS stats but I've just turned them on to see what happens.