cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only receiving 1 to 3 MB download speed

AgentMildew
Hooked

Only receiving 1 to 3 MB download speed

Several months ago I contacted plusnet regarding a quiet line and regular disconnections from the Internet.

The technician on the phone recommended that I remove the face placed from the master socket, which I did. This, however, hasn't really solved any thing.

I used to get a solid 8 to 10 MB per second, which was the estimate speed. Since phoning plusnet this went down to 6 MB per second, presumably to try and stabilise the phone line.

My speed has now gone down to 1 to 3 MB per second and has been like this for at least several days.

Recently I bought a new third-party Netgear router, hoping it would solve some of my problems. It didn't and only made things worse with multiple disconnections every single day.

I've now abandoned that router and gone back to the plusnet router, which has at the very least managed to stay connected to the Internet for more than a couple of days.

Reading some of the forum posts, it seems your speed will automatically be dropped to try and stabilise things. Can I get this fixed? 1 to 3 MB per second is unacceptable, and would really like to go back up to at least 8 MB per second.

3 REPLIES 3
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Only receiving 1 to 3 MB download speed

HI @AgentMildew 

Welcome to the Forums. 

Here is a 10 day RADIUS log; 

Your line looks much more stable - but this might be because the SNR has gone up to 9 and is sacrificing speed for stability. 

There have been no faults recorded upon my testing of your circuit  -which is a good thing! 

I've put through a manual SNR reset for you to see if we can record a stable line on a lower rate - this should give you some more speed as well. 

Can you reboot your router in 4 hours time to complete this change for me? 

Give it 24 hours or so after this has happened and the let us know how it's gone. 

Thanks, 

MoR

AgentMildew
Hooked

So far so good. Speed has gone up to a constant 8 to 10 MB per second. I am, however, terrified of plugging in a 3rd party router again due to the previous disconnection problems. I've tried two different routers (TP link and Netgear) with the same problems.

Any ideas why?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @AgentMildew , thanks for your post.

We'd recommend giving the routers a go - now that we've made line changes, we're hoping that you should have no issue using whichever equipment you choose.

Please let us know how you get on.