cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only getting 20Mb download on 60Mb service

scuda
Grafter

Only getting 20Mb download on 60Mb service

Would one of the Plusnet experts please help with the fault under Ticket/Question #91141899, as it seems to have got lost somewhere.
The problem so far:
We moved house at the end of July, within the same exchange area, and Plusnet fibre broadband moved over on 4th Aug. All OK with 60Mbps down accepted. Then broadband suddenly ceased on 27th Aug. Plusnet found that BT had cancelled the service, reason rather unsure. An engineer was scheduled for 5th September. Ironically the service resumed on the 4th! BUT, at a download rate of only 19.56Mbps. The engineer tested and found his speeds to be 60Mbps and together we tried different routers, different computers and direct to fibre modem connection, all with the 20Mbps down speed. He then asked me to contact Plusnet, and left. Another engineer visit was arranged for 10th, but did not happen as BT messed up. Yet another visit booked for 16th, engineer did same test, same result etc and left saying he would reset the DLM. No change following this, so rang Plusnet, they said they would monitor, and contact me within 48 hours, which did not happen. I rang again on Friday 16th and was told an engineer needed to visit (!!!!) but could not be arranged, and would have to be 'handed over' to Saturday team.
As of today the 22nd September, no contact from Plusnet since Friday.
I seem to remember a forum member with the same problem, in July, on ticket number #88029448, and Plusnet fixing it, but they did not say how.
I really would like to get this sorted, and appeal for expert help.
Thanks, scuda
18 REPLIES 18
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Only getting 20Mb download on 60Mb service

Can you connect to the router using a wired ethernet connection and then post the results of the BT Wholesale speed test:
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
You need to run the basic test first and then the advanced diagnostics.
scuda
Grafter

Sorry!
My last phone call to Plusnet was on Friday 19th, not 16th!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Also look at the "current speed" value on the PlusNET portal under high speed broadband.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

scuda
Grafter

Hello pwatson,
Connected by LAN cable direct to fibre moden, and running test you asked for gives:
Speed Test Results
Download Speed (Mbps):  19.94
Upload Speed (Mbps):  12.03
Ping Latency (ms):  34.63

Advanced Test Results
19.94/12.02 down/up
Max achievable down speed 60.74 Mbps
Max achievable up speed 20 Mbps
IP profile for line: 60.74
Upstream IP profile: 20 Mbps
Thanks for quick response.
scuda

Current speed value was at 60 (ish) Mbps when I looked recently.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

As per last post, what is the PN speed reported here - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
There have been a number of reports of delayed profile updates recently.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

scuda
Grafter

Townman:
Shows as 60.6Mb
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Well every thing looks as it should do.  So either there is something hidden in BTw systems causing a bottle neck, or there is congestion at the exchange.
That needs CRT input.
Just a passing thought - were these speed tests run over an Ethernet connection or wifi?  Depending on the wifi setup, these are right on the mark for maxing out a .g wifi device.

scuda
Grafter

Townman:
Thanks, but who are CRT ?
All tests done have been run using ethernet. I understand your comment about WiFi.
scuda
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

CRT = Customer Relations Team - the PlusNET staff who respond in these forums.
I would also consider raising a fault report here - http:// faults.plus.net

scuda
Grafter

Townman:
Thanks again!
This is already logged with CRT, but seems to 'ping pong' between PN, BT and Openreach. Result seems to be no result!  Hence my appeal on the forum.
scuda
scuda
Grafter

Quote from: pwatson
Can you connect to the router using a wired ethernet connection and then post the results of the BT Wholesale speed test:

Any comments on the results I have posted?
scuda
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yes, as above.  The profile is correct so I suspect congestion or a problem on the back haul.  Next step is reporting the fault but you've already done that...
avatastic
Grafter

As the FTTC service ceased, however briefly, I'm guessing that something somewhere is stuck thinking the line should be running on an ADSL2+ profile, hence the 20Mb figure.
Either that, or it's a massive coincidence and there is a fault only granting 20Mbps throughput.
I want to say you need a circuit rebuilt / reset ... that sounds like what was needed with SWMBO after bad storms dropped her line profile down to 0.5Mbps and kept it there, even after weeks of 8Mbps sync.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
scuda
Grafter

I really would appreciate a Plusnet man to look at this problem, please.
If the fault lies within the BT exchange, how do, and would,  Plusnet get an engineer to do a circuit rebuild or do a complete reset within the exchange? This sounds a very good idea to me and fellow poster avatastic.
scuda