cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online services & streaming (80309)

kitz
Aspiring Pro

Online services & streaming (80309)

Hi  can one of the PN guys please give me a bit more info about what this issue was.
Im currently 'playing' with a new ZyXel WMG8324 vdsl2 router which in its price band is a decentish bit of kit and ticked all the right boxes for me, (and with BaldEagles help may even work with HG612modem stats). Wink
Anyhow was fine up until last Monday when I started having issues with streaming,  But what was weird is any streaming devices other than iOS7 worked.
Since I appear to be FTTC  guinea pig for this particular router, Ive already contacted ZyXel in regard to firmware issues on the vdsl2 config, which was very promptly sorted..  so I told them of this new issue and for the past few days have been investigating it and perhaps linking it with a known issue for the SBG3300 which suffered a similar fate.
However, theyve come back to me, and even though they first assumed the iOS7 /SBG3300 problem, this may not actually be the case.  ...  and it looks like perhaps it isnt because Ive just managed to stream an hour long iplayer programme again on the ipad.
So a bit of scratting around and I notice this this.
Does anyone from Plusnet know if this issue happened to somehow be device related?  Is there any more info on this please what caused it..  just so I can give feedback to ZyXel..  I dont really want to close my ticket with them until Im more certain thay I may have been caught up in problem 80309.
Cheers.
14 REPLIES 14
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Online services & streaming (80309)

The Plusnet issue you linked was they had a block (possibly new?) of IPv4 addresses (146.200.0.0/16) which was still showing the registrant as Infonet Services USA - meaning it was causing problems for streaming services as the geosense software was associating them with being in the US rather than UK. This should be fixed now.
What issue are you having?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yeah, the previous issues where geolocation.
Make sure you check that ZyXel isn't responding to external DNS lookups, or external remote admin by default!  We've seen some ZyXel's with those rather worrying characteristics recently
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Cheers guys, cant be geolocation, otherwise I wouldnt have been able to play anything at all.  It worked fine on everything except devices with iOS7
It seemed more like some weird buffering issue.  ie it would play for a few minutes and then just stop.   So I could say stream from iplayer but it would be play 5 mins, then it would just stop.  It would continue from where it stopped off but required manual intervention all the time to restart.
Yet today it worked perfectly fine

>> Make sure you check that ZyXel isn't responding to external DNS lookups, or external remote admin by default!
Cheers Kelly, Ill check that now.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Everythings ok at GRC.com
I cant see anything in the webgui other than via the firewall.   This is currently set at WAN to LAN disabled.
Is there anywhere else I should check?

----
ETA
Think I found it.  Looks ok.?
AndyH
Grafter

Is there any kind of advanced logging you can do from telnet? Syslogd? tcpdump?

kitz
Aspiring Pro

Thank you Andy, I think my edit and your post crossed.
AndyH
Grafter

Ah - I meant any kind of advanced logging of your buffering problem to try and find out some more info on what's going on.
Looks good in terms of restricting external access from what you've posted.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Andy for the confirmation.
So far the streaming issue seems to have sorted itself too, so Im not sure what that could have been. 
The fact that its working ok atm, would seem to point that its perhaps not a ZyXel related issue.
AndyH
Grafter

kitz
Aspiring Pro

Thank you for that link, although I dont use Now TV, it also mentioned this.  
Considering it was specifically  i-player on iOS7 that I was having problems streaming,  that does seems a distinct possibility.  
OnFire
Grafter

Why does this thread with the title of the fault with Online services and streaming (80309), not cover Plusnet's ongoing fault with Youtube?
Is nobody else suffering problems with Youtube? I have tried reconnecting my router, but am still getting problems with Youtube (buffering, hangups, refusal to play videos due to "Network Problems").
http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=messages&ispservice_id=adsldial
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I don't believe we have any youtube issues.  Is anything else performing badly for you?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Why does this thread with the title of the fault with Online services and streaming (80309), not cover Plusnet's ongoing fault with Youtube?

Sorry, I dont seem to have any issues with YouTube - it was iplayer that wasnt buffering correctly for me. 
OnFire
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
I don't believe we have any youtube issues.   Is anything else performing badly for you?

Thanks. It might have been a Wifi issue on my part.