Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing Sync Issues...

geewizz
Grafter

Re: Ongoing Sync Issues...

Quote from: ianrstewart

With respect, I think you might be getting confused between kilobytes per second and kilobits per second.

Trust me, I'm not confused. I learned the difference between bits and bytes in 1984 when I disgraced myself in an exam by forgetting to multiply my bits by eight to get my bytes.  Smiley
My download speeds are between 360 & 415kbps. It has it's perks. A half hour programme on the BBC i-Player will last a lot longer for me.
owlguard
Grafter

Hi mates,what a system this maxdsl is.I have had a week or so,my normal plusnet 2000 being replaced by 1500.I was then given the,restart your netgear router info,which i did and after 3 days or so,got a resync around 3500+ish,then it settled down and as it always does,goes down to i would believe a setting which gives a reasonable snr and what has always been rock solid 2000 connection.My wife cleaned the pc room out and i didnt realise at the time had knocked the belkin surge protect power off and yes im back down to my router syncing at around 1888,i think im just going to leave it 2 or 3 days and try a resync.This rant is not for the plusnet reps to look at and try to do something with this situation,ive been there and done that,its just to say what a rotten [Censored] design this maxdsl is.The saddest thing about it is,everyone sort of knows this but cant do anything or much about it.My router figures at the mo are these,are they so bad that someone shouldnt be able to say,yep we will let you go back and try the 2000 and if its not your setup at fault or your router is blr,then your ok again,not it might be ok ,sometime next month but do this,dont do that,blip logic and all that wonderful technology. Up Time 01:08:39
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoE 7850 7101 0 417 1373 01:05:13
LAN 10M/100M 9824 10555 0 1718 516 01:08:35
WLAN 11M/54M 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1856 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 60.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 12.9 db 17.0 db

kindest ragards and thanks for listening,ray.P.S.ive just tried restarting my router,hence just 1 hr+ or so up time,ive seen it up for weeks.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: owlguard
knocked the belkin surge protect power off

That's a pretty good definition of irony...  Crazy
Hope it settles down eventually.....
owlguard
Grafter

Thanks for that mate.ray.
HPsauce
Pro

Just as a footnote, is your phone setup as good as it could be as that CAN have significant impact on your BB speeds?
I've seen a few really bad ones recently that improved immensely after fixing the phone wiring (and a bit of DMT tweaking  Roll_eyes )
(with a line attenuation of 60dB 2000 is all you can expect; sync at 3500 is highly unlikely to be unstable. What about moving to fixed 2mbps?)
owlguard
Grafter

Hi again mate,i have recently,(maybe a year ago),had a Bt engineer visit,these guys are very helpful and knowledgable in N Ireland,i.e.,very experienced and conscientious guys.The visit was for a wiring problem but it was me who had pulled a wire out of behind the baseplate,due to being asked by plusnet  to take off the plate and plug into the fitting behind it, which in fact didnt exist because it was very old.The engineer then did a permanent join and put in the latest bt baseplate fitting at the side of my pc,which doesnt need any filters at all in the house,im sure you know the one im talking about and in fact the reason eventually i found out just before he came to fix the wire pullout,was that my old speedtouch 330 modem had packed up,so thats why i have now got the netgear-dg834gt router modem.If all thats not too complicated a tale,bottom line is,i have the latest gear and believe that all my equipment is in 100% working order.This hassle i believe is simply because there may have been a power cut or something.I dont think they would put me on that set menu of 2gb as it were with being a distance away from the exchange.It was back to normal a few days ago until the cleaning scenario happened and i will,i think,just try to get back my 2000 setting by a little more patience and hope it all works out ok but i am very greatful that you took the time to speak to me and offer those options and i will keep them in mind,thankyou again.regards ray.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you have a netgear DG834GT - I think the non-wireless version works too -
Browser to http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug and enter your router user/password
do not close the browser
From a command line enter telnet 192.168.0.1
Enter the following command: (note the space between adslctl & configure)
/usr/sbin/adslctl configure --snr N
N is a value which allows you to adjust your noise margin,
Noise margin is approx N/8 dB so a value of N=50 is a good target on a stable line.
The bad news is that you have to repeat this every time you switch off the router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

owlguard
Grafter

Thanks for that info,i will maybe give it a go later.kind regards ray.
HPsauce
Pro

If you want to play that game there are other options:
1. The DMT tool, which works with the DG834GT, can adjust SNR margin easily (I use it)
2. Alternative router firmware from DGTeam or UberGT...
Start here for info on the DMT tool (version 8.07) http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv8.htm
ianrstewart
Dabbler

That looks like a great little tool - I'll have to take a peek once my support ticket is closed.
Just for your information, BT today reset my SNR settings and I'm currently sync'd after rebooting the router at 2016kbps. With any luck, the next few days will see this figure rise and normal service resume.
HPsauce
Pro

Could you tell me how you persuaded BT to reset SNR - or was it automatic?
A friend of mine is stuck on 15dB and it's a real pain as the cause was fixed ages ago.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: HPsauce
If you want to play that game there are other options:

But my version works for all operating systems.  Smiley

ianrstewart
Dabbler

Could you tell me how you persuaded BT to reset SNR - or was it automatic?

Open a ticket regarding speed issues.
Correspond with plusnet for over three weeks.
Persuade them there's nothing wrong on your end
Refuse the BT engineer's visit (though in my case, I simply can't accomodate an engineer in the timescales BT give you)
Request SNR reset
Robert's your brother's mother... though your mileage may vary.
Hope this helps.
VileReynard
Hero

You need to speak to PlusNet who have to persuade BT to action it after going through a few layers of management.
You do need to be referred to the appropriate person at PN though (in my experience) - it involved a wait of about a fortnight for me.

HPsauce
Pro

OK, thanks, it's not a problem I have but one of my friends does.
Unfortunately BT is his broadband provider and they don't listen too well.....  Embarrassed