Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing Issues

FIXED
Mike_Scott
Hooked

Ongoing Issues

Hi Folks,

Hoping could get a wee bit of input\assistance from some plusnet techs.  I have been having some issues with our broadband connection since July\August last year,    This occurred following BT engineers investigating an issue for our neighbour and were digging up cabling to fix an issue on the verge outside our house....our connection has had instability since this time with increased latency,  i replaced the plus net router with a Netgear modem and wireless access point in January and continued to encounter disconnects, the frequency of these issues increased with disconnects upwards of several times a day.

I have raised a few tickets with support who identified an issue with the line and a BT engineers was scheduled to come out and investigate,  while the engineer never came to the house the support team advised that the issue had been cleared at the BT side (exchange).   Initial testing showed a more stable service with virtually no disconnects...however this has been coupled with a performance degradation on my line speed dropping from 6.5mb to between 4.5-5.0 mb and i am also encountering increased levels of latency during gaming at certain times.    Gaming has became virtually pointless over the ADSL service and we have resorted to using 4g tethering to maintain good performance,

Having lived in this property for 9 years and having had a stable 6.5mb connection for the 8 1/2 years initially with TalkTalk and via Plus.net.   I have got the modem in the master test socket and removed the old bell wire when we first moved in and also disconnected any extension sockets....there is absolutely nothing wrong with internal connectivity (im a senior technical support engineer with over 20 years in the trade).

While i do not wish to leave Plusnet i would consider moving over to EE...while i understand this would of course have the same limitations of the line between our home and the exchange (including whatever BT had done to degrade both line and service)...with EE we would  actually get 5gb free 4G a month which would be utilized for gaming....however as stated i would prefer to keep my service with you guys as the customer service is fantastic and i cannot fault the responsiveness of your online engineers.

Many thanks

Mike

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Ongoing Issues

Fix

Hi Mike. First of all I'm sorry for the delay in picking up your thread and for the issues you're experiencing.

Whilst testing your line isn't finding the cause of the drops, from looking at your connection logs over the past 30 days, we can see it has been intermittent though it seems to be stabilising over the past week.

Attaching the logs below if you're interested:

Our tests are also showing your router in sync at 6.1mbps, though the SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) is at 9db, which is higher than I'd like to see. This would bringing your speed down to try to stabilise the connection.

I've put through a request to bring the SNR target down to 6db. If this causes further issues I'd recommend getting another engineer out there to further investigate by raising a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net

Let us know if/when you do that and we'll pick it up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mike_Scott
Hooked

Many thanks Gandalf, much appreciated.  I will keep an eye on connection for any issues. Have a good one my friend.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems at all Mike. Smiley

Keep us posted.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mike_Scott
Hooked

Good Sir Gandalf, Mystic guru of the intertubes - your adeptness, determination and technical prowess has exceeded expectations.   Having been with 4 different ISPs In the 9 years we have been here, initially with a paltry 1.5mb connection...stripped out the bell wire, moved to master socket, disconnected external connections got me up to 5.5mb...from speaking with the ISPs the very most any had squeezed my connection was 6.5mb.   For the last several days we have a consistent 7.42Mbps connection, good work fella.....now I know in the grand scheme of what others get its "minimalistic" but for us it will do until a Fibre solution can be found ( if you know of any fibre installation moles that will burrow their way from my house to the cabinet could you pass me their contact details Wink  )

Cheers

Mike

Connection Status

DSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7.42 Mbps 1.00 Mbps
Line Attenuation 48.50 dB 23.30 dB
Noise Margin 4.00 dB 7.30 dB

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hey Mike.

I'm glad to hear that change squeezed a bit more juice out of your connection.

To borrow a phrase from a certain supermarket chain, every little helps. Smiley

As for fibre it might be worth filling out this form to query that with Openreach though they might just refer you to this site. Other than that there's not much we can do I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet