cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing Broadband Problems

VMeldrew
Dabbler

Ongoing Broadband Problems

Lucky you - I have had ongoing problems with my broadband since January. The latest is that Plusnet have lowered the ip profile of my line from 3Mbps to .75 Mbps for some unexplained reason. I find their "support" clunky, slow and to be honest pretty useless. .
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Very good support

I find their "support" clunky, slow and to be honest pretty useless. .

I'm sorry you feel that way but to be fair I can see a couple of fault tickets raised recently that have been responded to the next day.
I'm sorry to see also that you're experiencing a speed issue at the moment and a ticket was raised yesterday, as the line is stable at the moment but the BT IP profile is at 750kbps I've submitted an SNR reset that should improve that within 24 hours, if it doesn't do come back here and let me know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
VMeldrew
Dabbler

Re: Very good support

Ok its only been 22 hours not 24 I admit but still no change. BT speedtester still reports ip profile at .75 and my speed is still about 600Kbps.  I will leave it the full 24 hours before posting again in the unlikely event you sort yourself out in the next 2 hours.
With regards your comment regarding "fairness" I think it fair to point out that when I last raised a Ticket in January it took you well over 2 months to sort out my problem then........
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Ongoing Broadband Problems

Moderators Note
VMeldrew's issue split off and retitled.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi VMeldrew,
I've just checked and unfortunately the BT profile is still set at 750 in spite of your sync being over 3500. I've just tried the SNR reset once more as it certainly should have shown some sign of making a change by now - hope it takes effect this time, please let us know.
VMeldrew
Dabbler

No change at all. I will be calling for a MAC code in the morning as I am taking my business to a real award-winning broadband supplier (Be). You've had your chances but never seem to get it quite right. I also object to having posts removed by your moderator just because they show Plusnet in an unfavourable light (ie as they really are).  I have spent hours and hours of MY LIFE trying to sort you guys out. I thought BT were bad but you would give them a run for their money for sure.  I am also a bit sick of your good-natured attempts at humourous advertising and general Yorkshire-ness which is wearing very thin.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Your post was moved by a Moderator, no doubt because he thought you'd stand a better chance of getting more informed help on this board, but also it can confuse a situation when you post in someone else's thread. Moderators do not kowtow to Plusnet, they are independent.
And your connection to Be will still be over the same dodgey cable pair to the exchange that you are on now. At the end of the day I wonder if they will put the same effort into getting you problem sorted as Plusnet will. You are obviously some distance from the exchange judging by the limited information you've posted and whichever ISP you are with they have the same systems for communicating with and fault reporting to BTWholesale and/or Openreach so delays and etc. will be the same.
You may be a Network engineer but you clearly don't understand how BTWholesale and Openreach work. I'm not defending them, I think they are both badly managed organisations. They don't tell any ISP/CP when they are doing general maintenance on any of their customers circuits or lines - they don't even tell the customers who suddenly`find they are without a service because they are replacing a cable when they know exactly who is going to be affected and couldn't be bothered to call them and tell them they'd be without service for several hours.
That all said, it depends on who who pay your line rental to. If it's BT and not Plusnet, well you'll need to be talking to Mumbai. Bad luck because based on the limited information you've posted it sounds like you have a line fault that need to be reported as a phone fault.
Can you hear noise on the line when making a call If so, next time the noise is present, plug a known good corded phone direct into the test socket and confirm the noise is present. Phone and report it whilst the noise is present and try and do so before there is an incoming call - ringing current can sometimes "clean" a bad connection and the noise disappears for a period. Tell the Call taker that you are plugged into the test socket with a known good corded phone. Don't mention the broadband otherwise you may get given the run around. Get the call taker to confirm they can hear the noise,  request them to log that fact and the fact that is intermittent.  Request that that detail is passed to the Openreach engineer. These requests are important to make sure you don't get a No fault found bill if an engineer can't find a fault, but if the enginner is aware it's intermittent they should know a few things to check if they are any good.
I wouldn't guess you are necessarily going to get your problem fixed very quickly. Judging by the number of BT vans you said were in the area, unless they were installing FTTC, they obviously have some major cable problems that could take time to sort. None of that is Plusnet's fault - they are in the hands of BT Openreach as would be any provider. There's no point in asking you to post any ADSL stat's as you are such an expert you can probably diagnose the issues yourself and see what sort of speeds you should be able to achieve if/when your line is fixed.