cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One month of speed problems, no solution yet.

melville

One month of speed problems, no solution yet.

Hello everyone.

After 2 years with Plusnet I am writing this out of frustration.

My problems started one month ago with my broadband dropping randomly always at the same time, between 11 and 13. It was working normally and achieving decent speed during the rest of the day.

Called costumer service. They told me to check whether there was some device responsible for the interference at that time. There was not. A week of testing and phone calls followed in which the problem seemed to be related to a loop. Then, since nothing was working, someone else told me there was noise on my line and sent a phone engineer in.

Phone engineer came 2 weeks ago, climbed on a pole outside and then moved a little bit more up the road, said that he made some changes to the line. Since then no drops but my speed has been unacceptable (0.5 Mbps with the BT wholesale speed test).

Called customer service again, they said that the line was extremely noisy and that's why I was going so slow. Did the reset twice, did not work, sent a broadband engineer yesterday which concluded that there is a throughput problem that needs to be solved by Plusnet.

After one month of struggle I am desperate. I use broadband for work especially when I am oncall from home. The worst thing is that I do not know what the problem is. The fault team did not contact me today as they said they would.

Please help. These are some details that I got from my router. I am not an expert as you can guess.

7 REPLIES 7
melville

Re: One month of speed problems, no solution yet.

Ranting helps?

I have repeated the speed test after writing the post and managed to reach 10Mbps.

Can anyone at plusnet look into this?

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

You comment on PN stating that you have a noisy line but then all your actions seem to be related to your router.  If you have a noisy line you should be dealing with that first. Have you rung 17070 and completed the quiet line test?

Welcome to the forum!

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
melville

Sir I am not an expert. I have no handset so I could not do the test, but the phone line engineer said that everything was working fine. He did some changes to the line outside (climbed on the pole) as he told me there was some interference on the one I was on, probably responsible for the morning drops.

I was just telling the story as it had been told to me. Truth is I had 2 engineer visits plus numerous calls to the costumer service, did all the needed test, tried with different routers and they never suggested it was a problem with my equipment. They told me that the problem was that my speed was capped and that they could not reset it remotely.

Now the line has been working since yesterday and I do not really now why.

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

If you have a noisy line then assuming your phone is with Plusnet make sure the agent resolves the phone line fault first as that will be impacting your speed then after that router resets etc will be relevant. Don't let any agents get sidetracked into speed problems when the underlying issue is a phone fault apparently.
I recommend you get yourself a cheap corded set off eBay and do the quiet line test
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

If you have a nearby Argos, a corded phone can be bought for £4.99 http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3924358.htm 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
melville

Strangely enough, things seem to be sorted now.

Today the broadband worked! Do not know exactly why.

I believe that the information I received from PN were conflicting. In fact when the phone engineer came he could not see any noise on the line, just some random interference for which he made changes on the outside line.

The ADSL engineer could not find the fault here and said that he will write in his report that PN should be able to solve the issue remotely.

Now I do not know exactly what improved things but I now fear that I will be charged for both engineers. Plus I have not heard from the fault team 48hrs after the last engineer came. Is this normal practice? In the past they were quite fast in answering my queries.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

It's the weekend so replies from the fault team won't happen. Also given the issues Plusnet had Thursday/Friday, I would imagine that all the staff have been very busy just sorting that out.

As for the possibility of being charged for the engineering visits, then no you shouldn't be. The charge is only applied if the fault is actually down to you (e.g. you didn't power up the router or you had damaged the BT line). It is there for wilful acts or omissions by the customer which is why Plusnet have guides which make you go through lot of steps before they will send out an engineer.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT