cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One PC - slow downloads, cut outs, other PC fine

davlund

One PC - slow downloads, cut outs, other PC fine

I have one PC (one year old) on a wired Ethernet into a one year old Netgear router and a second PC (about 4 years old) into the same wired Ethernet network.  Both running Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, with Avast anti-virus.
One year old - download speed averages 3.5-4mb.
4 year old - download speed averages 0.5-1mb
I've tried what I thought might be the obvious things:
> putting each PC through the other's wall ethernet point - same result.  Ie it's not the network, nor the router, it's the PC.
> running full anti-virus check on both - cleaned up - same result after
Very frustrating.  Any thoughts about what to try next please?
Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
houlton23
Grafter

Re: One PC - slow downloads, cut outs, other PC fine

You could try temporarily disabling the Avast! real-time web sheild? It could be that the CPU in the older PC is struggling to cope. I've seen it before with avast.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If it's a PC (rather than a laptop), could you try a cheap PCI network card - you could have a faulty ethernet port.
If it's a laptop you could try a USB ethernet adaptor (that option would also work in a PC of course and could be a useful thing to have around in case of future problems). http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=usb%2Fethernet+adaptor&tag=googhydr-21&index=electronics... (other sources are available of course).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
staking
Dabbler

goto control panel, network connections, change adapter settings, double click your connection, properties, driver settings, set to 100mbps or 1gbps  on the duplex setting.
failing that see if there any driver updates
failing that try a pci network card that has been sugguested.
davlund

Thanks all for your thoughts.
Tried the duplex and avast settings - no joy.  Then remembered I had a USB to RJ45 adapter somewhere, couldn't find the software driver for it (but managed to find one - nearly all in chinese) online - virus checked that one.  Installed the software, switched the network cable and it's the same speed as my other one.  Ordered a new network card from Amazon - so should be sorted.
Thank you all again for your thoughts and posts .  Much appreciated.
Cheers