cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the trial for a while

hulls
Grafter

On the trial for a while

OK - I've been on the trial for a little while now, and initially I had a speed increase (up to around 8Mb). but because the line is so unstable (I assume since my sync speed is constantly changing, so presumably I'm losing sync and then resyncing), my SNR keeps going up, and my sync speed is now often lower than it was before.
Is this what was expected? and will it improve as the technology / protocols improve?
On the up side, I usually get connected ok, and had no serious down-time. VPN still works ok, so I'm still not worse off than I was before. (just a bit disappointed)
On the whole it's difficult to tell the difference between ADSL and ADSL2 at the user end (in my case at least)
John
8 REPLIES 8
the_norris
Grafter

Re: On the trial for a while

Hi John
Like you - i've been on the trial for while - similar experience.  Moved from old LLU product - same speed.  Ok with this - longish line anyway.  Then it start to go down hill from there.  SNR going up - sync speed down!  Was slower that the old MaxDSL days!   Long support call in - bounce around BT and PN a few times - testing with new everything apart from new  kitchen sink  Cheesy
Finally BT cast a magic spell on the line - now got sync of 5191down @ 9db Fast and stable - been line this from Sunday midday.   
So been a bumpy experience and like you not benefit except faster upload compared to the old BT MaxDSL service.  And compared to the LLU service - slower  in both up and down speeds although not too much on the up - only about 50kbps UP but 1200kpbs on the DOWN.

Phil
James
Grafter

Chaps - Whilst I can't move you back to IPStream, I can place an order to move you to ADSL1 if you feel that your performance was better.
I've done it before and ADSL1 on 21CN behaved identically to IPStream Max.
the_norris
Grafter

Hi
I'm happy now that my line is ok again - working to somewhere near too what I was getting.  Do like the faster upload compared to the ADSL1 days.  So think I will stay where I am for now - unless things go wrong.
From my experience - there was problems in PN raising faults to BT - after one change requested and before another could be raised, the customer also had to completely replace just about all connect devices to prove the problem was not at there end.  Bit strange as history of the line on LLU was fine for 2 years then problems started from day one on 21CN.
I understand that a good deal of faults can come from the customers internal wiring - so this does need to be ruled out.  But as trialist and history of the line should play a bit more into account especially if problems start at day one.
Phil 
James
Grafter

That's fair enough to an extent.
We try very hard (arguably too hard in some cases) to ensure that our customers do not get hit with a £144+VAT charge.
So, regardless of your line history, we will always ask you to run the necessary checks, to make sure you don't get a nasty surprise.
hulls
Grafter

Hi James
I don't want to move back to ADSL1 necessarily.  As I said ASDSL2 is ok, it's just not noticeably better than ADSL 1 (in my case) I hadn't thought of the upload speed which is better of course, but then, I don't upload lots of data.  All I was trying to do was to provide feedback I suppose, and to see if my experience was typical.
It's good to see though that the PN response to customer queries is as good as ever.  Smiley
John
Bojangles
Grafter

How many days have you been on  the trial? Took about a month for mine to stabilise, ie sync twice at the same speed. Now i'm on a steady IP profile of 13000kbps getting about 11.5 mbps on speedtests.
hulls
Grafter

At least a couple of months. Syncing today at 6506 Kbps (so not great) SNR is around 9, I think because the line keeps resetting.  To be fair, I always have line problems between June and September (I know it sounds daft, but it's true)  So I try to remember to turn my router off overnight (when most of the problems occur) It's not easy with three teenage boys who like to  be on-line half the night!
We'll see what happens in September, when the line usually gets better.  Roll_eyes
John
the_norris
Grafter

Oh dear, spoke too soon.
Looks like my problems are starting again!  Exchange forced a re-sync now at 4419kbps @ 12db.  Cry Angry
Line been work at the higher speed in my post above for 4 days!
Not happy now - have replied to my open call -  now waiting for PN.  Will have to see what the next step is?
Phil