cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the road to insanity with Constant disconnections

LukeAger
Grafter

On the road to insanity with Constant disconnections

Guys, i don't know whats going on with my connection but for the last few months i have noticed several issues with my line from a reduced line speed to repeated disconnections. For the most part, I don't really care about the line speed issue, I still get 20-25mb even when it drops from the speed i should be getting but the disconnections are driving me mad. 

I thought it was the router and needed to upgrade anyway so that I could put a VPN server in, so I recently put in a Netgear nighthalk router. That really has not made any difference to the disconnection issue. I wanted to raise a question on line but I don't seem to be able to find that option. 

Can someone take a look at my Radius report and let me know how it looks at your side please. I'm starting to pay more notice to the weather to see if that is correlating but not sure yet. 

4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: On the road to insanity with Constant disconnections

Not many disconnections showing Luke:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 31.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-2M Upstream, Error Protection Off

A line test isn't showing anything too outrageous either, the sync is a little low but nothing to suggest a lot of disconnections.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
LukeAger
Grafter

Thanks Chris. Let me keep an eye on it and see if it gets any better. It might not look like a lot but I WFH and those resets are all in the day time which is right when i need it to be stable. 

thanks for checking it though. I'll check back if it does/doesn't improve. 

LukeAger
Grafter

Sorry to bump a dead thread but I figured out the issue and worth commenting for others who might be having the same problem. 

I was having frequent disconnections and they actually began to get much worse after I started this thread. I opened a support case but while plusnet were doing the investigation I began looking at a few things inside the house. My fibre connection connects at the master socket in the house which is a very old socket, there isn't even a test socket inside the master socket, It has the very old type socket so I was limited with how much I could isolate.

Anyway, I also have a extension wired into that socket which goes into another room where the phone is. It turned out, the extension wire was running behind a door and over time, as the door had been opened it had damaged the extension wire. 
This was somehow interfering with the master socket and causing the lines to reset almost hourly. I thought it was odd since the fault was actually on an extension socket which was not inline with the internet router but I guess the interference was somehow still having an impact. 

I replaced the extension wiring and that fixed he problem. The line is now back to normal. 

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks for posting back with the resolution to this Luke, glad you got it sorted.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.