cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On average, no improvement

Ellis
Grafter

On average, no improvement

I migrated from Tiscali last August, since then I have checked the BB speed fairly regularly. With Tiscali I was expected to get 2Mbps, top was 2.2Mbps and the average was around 1.8Mbps, there was less variation and the level was fairly steady. With Plus Net I am expected to get 7Mbps, top is 6mbps, the average (over 26 readings) is 2.263Mbps. The lowest was 0.424Mbps, there are many times when the level is below 1Mbps, to attain the average I have a very few recorded speeds of 5-6Mbps (mainly late at night). I am not particularly happy with a general level slightly less than I got with Tiscali when the speeds were steadier.
4 REPLIES 4
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: On average, no improvement

Hello chap
Exchange information if you are getting some pretty naff speeds,first thing is check that link, pop in your info's and see if "VP Capacity" is anything OTHER THAN "Green".
This means that BT, basically doesnt have enough capacity for the amount people are using (This usually takes a few months to sort out).
Tiscali wouldnt be bound by this, as they'd have bought X amount of capacity at exchange which is split up only between their customers, they usually oversell this capacity which is why speeds tend to be slow from suppliers like TalkTalk / Tiscali etc.
Failing that, could be several other things Smiley
Regards
Matt
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Ellis,
I've just checked your exchange and the VP is on amber. When you click further in it gives this message "At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected."
Jojo Smiley
Ellis
Grafter

Hi Jojo.
If that's the case, it looks like I shall go on nightshift (like I used to with P.O. Telephones back in the 1970's.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Ellis,
That's one solution I suppose. You can always raise a fault and we may be able to get a better idea of when there may be some sort of resolution for you.
Jojo Smiley