Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Line Storage

Moggy
Grafter

On Line Storage

Oh Wise Ones:-
Does PN have (Or does PN intend to have) any online storage facilities? I would find it extremely useful to be able to store some MS Word and Excel personal files where I can get too them wherever I am. 1G would be good. I know there are some outfits out there that offer such stuff (Diino and even BT) so I just wondered......
13 REPLIES 13
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: On Line Storage

I am not aware of any facilities like this being discussed or planning to be implemented by PlusNet.
chillypenguin
Grafter

http://www.box.net will give you 1G for free.
Chilly
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Hmm... ZoneAlarm thinks that site is a source of spyware and is blocking it.
Perhaps not one I would recommend.
Moggy
Grafter

Thanks Chilli,
just tried it and it took forever to open and Norton started a scan when it did open.
Have you used this site?
Ianwild
Grafter

Thanks for the post - I've had this on the radar for a while, and would be very happy if I could get a thumbs up from a few people that this is a product you would like us to offer. If so what featurees / pricing it would need to have to make it attractive?
One thing it could have in it's favour is an exclusion from your usage allowance.
Ian
Moggy
Grafter

Hi Ian,
Well I suppose it would depend on the size of storage you want, for me personally just a couple of spread sheets for shares dealings I so badly play at etc, so I wouldn't want to pay for that, but I would think to back up your laptop for example so that if you had the dreaded computer malfuntion away from home and on a business trip you could get the machine fixed and up and running again (or even borrow someones to retreive important files) you'd pay a small fee for that per month.
Then there is back-up for those priceless family photo's.
You could store your music on line for topping up your ipod.
The more I think about it the more things come to mind.
I don't know how easy this is to do, would it be drag and drop type thing? Would you need special software, would it save all file types.... Oh God, what have I started.....???/
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
Hmm... ZoneAlarm thinks that site is a source of spyware and is blocking it.
Perhaps not one I would recommend.

I have used box.net in the past without any issues.
What was Zonealarms problem?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

No idea as it does not give any reason other than a spyware related pop-up saying its blocking it.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I  clicked the link, and it came up no problem, then spotted I didn`t have zonealarm running.
First time didn`t have zonealarm running, so did a  avg spyware run, and did not find anything except a tracking cookie, which could have come from anywhere....
second time with zonealarm   no problem  but did not block the site.... came up as quick as google, or any other site...
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

What version of ZA are you running and do you have anti-spyware enabled.
I'm usng the pro version not free v7.0.337.000.
Moggy
Grafter

Oh, Red face here, when I looked into it I found that Norton's was scheduled to run at that time, total coincidence.
What's the chances of that....
Not applicable

Quote from: Moggy
You could store your music on line for topping up your ipod.

Most iPods are larger that 1GB as far as I can tell, so I wouldn't think there would be much mileage in uploading songs to an online store so you could download them somewhere else onto an iPod.
Anyway, thats not really the reason that I replied this is:
If you have an iPod, why not put your documents on there?
You get faster access times, its totally portable, doesn't need special software and requires no power source other than the machine you connect it to.
Ian and PUG discussed this type of idea briefly some time ago, but I've still never really 'got' the point of it. Storage devices are everywhere, and you can control physical access yourself - a mini SD card for example couple provide all the storage you need, and perhaps be compatible with your phone for viewing/editing/sending documents.
A USB memory key could provide the same advantages.
Storage is always getting cheaper, but as time goes on the internet bandwidth required to move files around is becoming more and more scarce - why wait and pay to access your documents when you can carry them around with you?
If you do prefer an online solution, get a webmail account with a large storage capacity (Gmail springs to mind as a potential) and email the files you want to there.
You can access them wherever in the world you want to if you have internet access (which you'd need with an online solution anyway)
Seems to me that there are too many 'better ways' to solve the problem depending on a persons exact circumstances. I can't see it having a large enough potential customer base to make the solution worthwhile spending time developing.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I have done a lot of research into on-line storage and backup.
BT Digital Vault  looks OK but is a bit clunky and expensive. (1GB free, 5GB for BT Broadband customers, 50GB for £4.95 per month with backup facility)
http://digitalvault.bt.com/base/login.jsp
Much better is Xdrive - 5GB free and you get a "Hotmail" style interface.  Extra storage, 50 GB $4.99 per month). I use this for on-line storage. If 5GB not enough you can always open another account.
For on-line backup by far the best is Mozy. 2GB free, and for $4.95 per month you get UNLIMITED storage. I have seen reports of some people backing us several 100 GBs.
http://mozy.com/home
Not ideal for on-line storage as it's a back up facility but I have often used it to retrieve a file when I'm working away from my PC.  You just login to your account and pick the files you want to restore and then just restore (ie save) on the PC you're working on at the time.