cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On 21CN and sync sped 6900, but profile still 5000

daviez
Grafter

On 21CN and sync sped 6900, but profile still 5000

Just got migrated over to 21CN and line sync speed has increased from 5500-ish to 6900-ish. But the High Speed Broadband page in my Connection area on plus.net portal still says profile of 5000.
How long does it normally take for this to update?
And is my sync speed likely to stay at this level now or will it move around over the coming week/s?
Ta!!!
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: On 21CN and sync sped 6900, but profile still 5000

Hi there,
The profile on your line has recently increased to 5500Kbps, so I've given your account a quick tweak from our end.
daviez
Grafter

Thanks James.
But I have to say I'm disappointed with 21CN so far.
I was with Plusnet for a few years syncing at around 2Mb out-of-town until I moved into town and and got 5Mb downstream.  When MaxDSL came along, I went onto the trial and upstream sync increased to 832k.  Fantastic.
But I was tempted by Beunlimited's up-to-24Mb service and switched to them.  My line sync'd at around 8Mb down and 1100k up.  Even better.  I upgraded the firmware on my Netgear DG834N router to the DGTeam firmware that let me increase the downstream to 11Mb.  WOW!!!
But the throughput through Be was shockingly bad.  I was lucky if I got the equivalent of a 3Mb connection during off-peak hours.
I soon gave up on Be and switched back to Plusnet and was back to 5Mb downstream and 832k up.  Until I signed up for the 21CN trial.
I've been on 21CN for a couple of days now and my line is currently syncing at 5800 downstream and 695 up.  I've rebooted my router several times and even tried the DGTeam firmware that got me 11Mb with Be.  It gets me only 8Mb with 21CN Plusnet.
Something seems very wrong with 21CN.  I know my line was capable of 11Mb down and 1.1Mb up with Be.  So why is 21CN giving me only half that?
matt_2k34
Grafter

I know my line was capable of 11Mb down and 1.1Mb up with Be.  So why is 21CN giving me only half that?

This isnt really a fair measure, Be* use their own equipment in the exchange - and as such LLU providers like Be* will have more control over what your line profile is.
i personally have found that rebooting the router doesnt help that much.. if you log into your plusnet account and click on connection settings >  "High speed broadband"
You''ll get something like this
Estimated line speed:
3.0 Mbps - Checked on 2009-04-03 02:56:26
Current line speed:

(only hopefully not as crap)
this will tell you what the profile is set at on PNs end, you might have to give it a little while for this figure to update.

http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm This link may also help (giving you the profile that should be set at, for what your router sync speed is)
daviez
Grafter

Quote from: Matt_2k34
I know my line was capable of 11Mb down and 1.1Mb up with Be.  So why is 21CN giving me only half that?

This isnt really a fair measure, Be* use their own equipment in the exchange - and as such LLU providers like Be* will have more control over what your line profile is.

I disagree.  Be's kit is at least 1 year+ old now.  BT is launching their shiny new ADSL2+ implementation and 21CN.  But is Be's solution really twice as fast?
itsme
Grafter

In my opinion LLU companies go for the headline speed without worrying about errors that will cause requests for retransmission.  So a large percentage of the traffic on the LLU backhaul could be resending of data through errors which will further reduce the throughput that the end user will see.
With BT DLM I believe there is more emphasis on reducing the errors to stop the need to retransmit.
If you go http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php and put your downstream attenuation in then you will get an estimation for your downstream speed. But have to say that as you were only getting 5mbps with Maxdsl  21CN will not be much higher than this.
matt_2k34
Grafter

I disagree.  Be's kit is at least 1 year+ old now.  BT is launching their shiny new ADSL2+ implementation and 21CN.  But is Be's solution really twice as fast?

BE and all other LLU companies manage their customers in a different way to BT.. its much more hands on - with an LLU line they are able to set what target SNR and what IP Profile your line will be .... So if they set it too high and it drops out every 5 minutes, it wouldnt matter it would continue to go back to the same speed. BT's equipment uses the DLM to manage this dynamically (As the name suggests!)
I Wouldnt expect too great of an increase, but any increase is a bonus (especially when it hasnt cost you anything)
PLEASE look at the following link:
http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm#IP_and_bRAS_profiles
it tells you what each "range" of sync speed and what IP Profile you would expect to see (remember if sync speed drops you'll be given the IP Profile of that sync speed instead)
James
Grafter

Hideous copy+paste, but may be relevant.
Dynamic Line Management is a feature that is run on all ADSL and ADSL2+ services that are provided by BT Wholesale to other ISPs (such as Plusnet).  It analyses line performance information on their network using a system called RAMBo (Rate Adaptive Management Box).  It uses this information to determine whether or not a line is unstable, and if it is, it will make some configuration changes to try to stabilise the line without any manual intervention being required.
The DLM processes that run on Wholesale Broadband Connect and Wholesale Broadband Managed Connect are generally very similar to those which we have seen (and written about) on IPStream Max / Max Premium.  There have however, been a number of changes made, designed to improve both the speed and efficiency of how it reacts to lines which are experiencing dropping connections and poor speeds.  An example of this is the initial training period when a telephone line first has broadband applied to it.  Generally, the DLM on WBC will find the optimal performance for a line in half the time that it would have done on IPStream Max (which was generally in the region of 5 days).  It is also designed to adapt much faster, should a line's performance improve (such as if the synchronisation speed improved after a voice line fault were fixed).
Generally the performance of each line on WBC/WMBC is reviewed on a daily basis, unless they are what BT refer to as "flapping lines" or ones which drop the connection regularly.  These are generally reviewed more frequently.  Once a line has been stabilised, the frequency of the DLM changes become less and less often.  It is only when a line experiences a period of instability where this process is restarted.  The reconfiguration of these lines will involve changes in the "line profile" (which involves SNR, bRAS profile and interleaving depth).  Once RAMBo has requested a change to the line profile to be made, there is generally a delay of roughly two hours before the change is actually made.  When this change occurs, there is generally a brief drop in connection of approximately 30 seconds.
Because the DLM is designed to both adapt to a drop in performance, it also needs to be able to respond to an improvement in performance.  Say you had to raise a fault on the voice side of your telephone line - that will generally also result in a deterioration or loss in broadband service.  This normally will also result in a change in line profile.  DLM is always designed to provide the optimal line conditions, giving a stable service at the best possible speed.  Where there is a deterioration in service, the speed at which the DLM will react will depend upon the severity of the problem.  A connection which drops once a day will see profile changes occur less quickly than if a line was disconnecting far more frequently.
Another addition to DLM on WBC/WBMC is that of banded profiles.  Initially, all lines are configured to run in a fully rate adaptive mode.  That means that there isn't really any maximum or minimum capability of the broadband service (within technical capabilities).  For lines which drop frequently, a banded profile can be applied, which will restrict a line's connection speed from connecting at a level which is can't maintain.  Banded profiles operate with a minimum and maximum connection speed band.  for example, one banded profile will control the connection speed from between 3.3-6.6Mbps.