cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Customer new packages

Tapout

Old Customer new packages

Hi all,
After seeing the Broadband Your Way Pro package and being unhappy with my ping during peak times, so I decided to upgrade/downgrade to this package.
I'm currently on the PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1 package which got moved to the Tiscali LLU.  I asked support to turn off interleaving to improve my ping but was told this was only available on max adsl.  Does this mean that users who were moved onto the llu will automatically be transferred back to the BT for the gaming broadband product? 
I assume i'm doing the right thing to improve my ping for games by moving to this new package?
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
James
Grafter

Re: Old Customer new packages

Hi Tapout,
I've just removed interleaving from your line.  Let me know if you have any problems and I can easily turn it back on again for you.
I don't know why you would have been told this couldn't be done, it's really easy!
Tapout

Thanks James
Can you check my tickets ID: 23396595 and ID: 23397790
I'm having my line migrated on the 26th to the BT network for this reason.  At the end of the day I don't mind what happens as long as I have the best connection for games.
Please advise Smiley
Many Thanks
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I did have a look earlier.  Your move over to BT IPStream is still in progress and is due to complete on November 26th, as you've mentioned.
Have a play later on and see what your ping times are like.  We can always cancel the order if you would like us to.
Tapout

Sure no problem, i'll convince the wife that i'm testing our internet connection tonight NOT just playing games  Grin
I'm happy to move to IP stream, as recommend by support.  I assume it's the recommend platform the broadband pro package Smiley
Cheers
James
Grafter

If I'm being brutally honest, I don't think it'll make a blind bit of difference Smiley
You shouldn't be able to tell the difference in ping responses on either LLU or IPStream as long as interleaving is removed.  If it's all good tonight, then it would make sense to cancel the order, as you'll suffer (generally) a couple hours downtime and it costs us a bit of cash too Tongue
Tapout

Morning,
Ok did some tests last night;
At 17:15 the ping time to bbc.co.uk and google was around 13ms which was excellent !!!!
Started playing around 20:00 and notice a bit of lag, checked the ping times again.  bbc.co.uk had gone up to 50 - 60ms average and this lasted until approx 11.45. 
My connection is always rock solid and I get great results on the speed tests but my ping seems to take a massive hit around peak times.  Am I being throttled during peak hours and do I need change my product to the gaming package?
James
Grafter

Hi again,
It would be extremely unlikely to be down to our traffic prioritisation, given the amount of usage that you have used to date this month (ie: not that much).  It's possibly congestion coming from other sources.
I wouldn't expect to see any improvement over an IPStream based service, but I suppose it's always a possibility.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You could try pathping instead of ping to see where the delay is occurring.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Tapout

Damn my ping was excellent last night.  Bah do I cancel my move to BT's network now  Undecided
After reading about the broadband pro package there seems to be no benfits over my current package too.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I would if I were in your place! For gaming the priority is high on both. PRO has a higher upload speed than normal BT - but you have that anyway on LLU.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Tapout

Thanks jelv
Yea sometimes it's better the devil you know Cheesy 
The only issues I have are peak times when my ping takes a massive hit.  Maybe less people were using the llu last night due to football which accounts for the better ping.
James if I cancel my move for a month for further testing and if i'm still having trouble move me to the BT network, would that be ok  Tongue
James
Grafter

Yeah.  Let me see if I can get the order cancelled.