cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh no, what have I let myself in for?

ninjaflannel
Grafter

Oh no, what have I let myself in for?

I've just signed up for the plusnet pro package as I'm an avid gamer, 360 and PC... to be honest, MW2 is like crack cocaine to me at the moment.
For a few weeks, my current ISP (virgin media national) has been awful. I've had varying download speeds of 0.1 to 1.5Mbps, I can no longer play MW2 (going cold turkey is bad for your health!) or Left for Dead 2, AND downloading has been tedious.
Now I've signed up, I've been looking at the community forums and it seems almost no one has a nice thing to say about PN at the moment... have I made a big mistake? I want to ask now while I'm still within my 7 day cooling off period where I can cancel the order.
I setup Plusnet for my Mum back when it was force 9 and she's has years of trouble free service (even now she has no issues), but she just downloads and browses.
Any reports from any othe PN Pro users? Is it really that bad at the moment? Is it likely to get better any time soon?
54 REPLIES 54
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Oh no, what have I let myself in for?

Hi ninjaflannel and welcome to the forum.
We have had our fair share of problems but we like to think that things are improving.
If you can post some router stats someone will take a look I'm sure.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ninjaflannel
Grafter

Only provided them with my MAC Code today, so not moved over yet - just wanted to know what's going on at the moment so I know whether it's worth carrying on with the order or not.
Strat
Community Veteran

Ok well this is the traffic shaping applied to Pro http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml#proSpeeds
I'm on a legacy product and use a PS3 but have no problems. Others will tell you a different story but if you have a good quality line you should have no problems.
\Srat sits back and waits Wink
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Like i said to someone else today, you only have to scoot around the forums to see the complaints knocking around.
Dont bother with a router, that way its only 10 day cancellation period (i think)
zubel
Community Veteran

Whilst there a re a lot of complaints on the forums, it's worthwhile remembering that a lot of forum posters will be people who actually have a complaint - very few are going to be people just wanting to post up that everything is ok!
As a percentage of the installed userbase (somewhere in the region of 300k users, if not more) the number of posts about unsatisfactory performance are fairly low.
Just for comparison's sake - I'm on the Unlimited product, on 21CN, syncing at ~15Mbps, and I have absolutely no problems playing MW2 from my XBox  (well, apart from the fact that my skill level leaves a lot to be desired!). 
HTH
B.
ninjaflannel
Grafter

That's a good point Barry, thank you. I'll be sure to post up some positives if there are some to report.
I had to go for the router unfortunately, as I didn't want to join a new ISP after virgin and then find out it was my router causing the issues in the first place.
zubel
Community Veteran

One thing that I am sure of - if you do have issues then the forums here are a fabulous resource full of people willing to help!
B.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Even if some of us get quite pissed off by users complaining that they can't get over 5500 kbps when our lines can't get over 2500kbps on an extremely good day  Sad  Embarrassed
ninjaflannel
Grafter

Heh, yea. I know that feeling. I used to be on Virgin Cable till 18 months ago, but my new house didn't have cable. So I dropped from a steady 10Mbps to 2Mbps. It was so painful. I'm 'used' to it again now though.
My real pet hate is people saying "I'm supposed to be on 2Mbps, but I can only download at 240-250KBps a second", there's still too many people out there who don't know to divide by 8!  Grin
Strat
Community Veteran

Yep it's like Barry says people are far more likely to complain here than praise but some do praise, myself included with a sync of 8128 Smiley
If only my fingers could keep up on MW2 Embarrassed
ninjaflannel
Grafter

I look forward to posting some praise then in the near future... Activation date is the 16th. Another week of crap Internet with Virgin to go. Does it normally activate earlier?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not normally, but often
ninjaflannel
Grafter

Well, first bit of positive feedback! Finally got Modern Warfare 2 working again last night on Virgin Media ADSL (the main reason I'm moving ISP to PlusNet!). Turns out my router didn't like having port forwarding setup AND having UPnP enabled... I disabled UPnP and MW2 started working again. Therefor I no longer wanted a new router (I selected the free wireless router on signup), because I was after the new router to see if it was my current router stopping me from playing!
So I rang up the order line at around 10.30 PM! I got an answer within 3 minutes and spoke to a very polite guy who instantly cancelled the hardware order for me and credited the p&p back to my account! Let's hope the connection is as good as the customer service!
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Glad to hear you're happy with the customer service so far, I'll pass the feedback on. Smiley