cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh Dear.....

midlander
Dabbler

Oh Dear.....

Firstly, a warm hello to everyone on this forum, this is my first post so please bare with me!  Wink
Anyhow it's been three weeks now since my Up to 78Mbps Unlimited Fibre Broadband went live. Initially my estimated download speed was 50Mbps but only achieved 43Mbps on connection. I thought that this would go up slightly over time although it actually started to drop further after about a week or so. Now my statistics stand at  :-
(connected to the Telehouse West Gateway ptw-ag01)
Download speed 35.87Mbps
Upload speed 9.53Mbps
I.P. Profile 43.17Mbs
Ping Latency 15-41ms (as verified by the B.T. Wholesale further diagnostics test being tested virtually every day via ethernet cable)
The test from Speedtest.net was just about the same. However, the strange thing is though, if i run the same tests via wi-fi sitting upstairs in another room, the statistics are virtually the same even though the router is about 15m away and through a couple of walls. Now having read some of the other threads on this forum it seems to me that the  profile may have been capped or banded in some way or have I been put on the wrong profile, 40/10 maybe? Has the DSLM set the SNR too high ? I would be most grateful if one of the plusnet staff could check this out for me on Monday. I originally thought that I had a problem with noise on the line but narrowed this down to the telephone as when I used an old phone plugged into the master test socket the line was noise free. Just one more thing, I recieved an e-mail from plusnet the other day basically saying that because you have been connected for 14 days and as by way of a comparison, your new estimated download speed will be 12.5Mbps. Quite worrying really.  Sad
14 REPLIES 14
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Oh Dear.....

There have been some issues lately within download speeds at peak times, but progress has been made and it looks like PN are close to resolving them.
Your download speed will always be slightly lower than your IP Profile.
What does it say here for your line speed - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ?
midlander
Dabbler

Hi AndyH I've just been to the the link and it says:-
Estimated line speed:50Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-02-13 10:47:02
Current line speed: 78 Mb
My download and upload speeds are absolutely constant though no matter what time of day I test the line.
AndyH
Grafter

Hi
Essentially you want to know why your current speeds are lower than your original estimate?
I would expect for you to be able to get around 40Mbps at best with an IP Profile of 43.17Mbps. You're slightly below that - but it's not unusual. There will sometimes be a little bit of variation during peak times and the recent issue might have given you some lower readings. How are your pings to bbc.co.uk? How do you find browsing/steaming etc?
Do you know how far you are (roughly) from your cabinet? I doubt there is much you can do about your sync speed at the moment, however there is something called 'vectoring' which promises increased speeds (100Mbps at 400m) but I have no idea how far away this technology is.
AndyH
Grafter

midlander
Dabbler

I'm not sure how to aquire a ping test from the BBC but the figures from Pingtest.net are 23ms(ping) 1ms(jitter) and line quality B*. The streaming speed from the BBC Iplayer website is:-
"Your available bandwidth is 17186 kbps."
I'm about 250 to 300m away from the green cabinet and the local exchange is quite near, about 1.5 miles away I should imagine. Sreaming video is good with no discearnable buffering but for some reason there's always a "waiting for response" prompt at the bottom of the browser when surfing the majority of websites and then a pause while the page loads up? I guess Iam a little worried that the initial profile has been set too low or capped for some reason because as of now Iam getting the sort of speeds you would expect on an "up to 38Mbps" tarrif. Incidentally is it possible to get the full statistics, snr values etc from the supplied vdsl technicolour router or is that only applicable to non fibre adsl equipment. I've had a look around the router diagnostic page but can't find anything relating to that.
AndyH
Grafter

I don't think your profile is wrong (it looks ok from what was in the Member Centre) but PN will need to confirm this.
I believe you can get the line stats from the BT modem if it's a Huawei - there are some links around the net on this...
Do you get the "waiting for response" when using wireless only or with wired too?
midlander
Dabbler

The "waiting for response" prompt is when i'm using the laptop wirelessly, to be honest i've only used the ethernet connection when I do the speed tests as the wi-fi is just as fast for some reason and i'm not even sitting right next to the router. Somebody sugested to me that its slow speed of certain websites that causes it. Thanks for the info on the BT modem, its just what the openreach engineer brought with him which is a Huawei modem I think and needs to be reprogrammed (hacked) in order to give up it's stats I do believe. Talking of which, the engineer only took about 20 mins to install the set-up, is this about right for everyone else's installations?
AndyH
Grafter

The installation - It depends on what he did Smiley He is suppose to run some tests, and make sure that the cabling is to current standards. The tests should pick up any faults or problems on the line. Your line seems ok though if the IP Profile has remained constant.
The wifi - I would fiddle around with the channels. Try a wireless survey program like inSSIDer to check for unused channels.
midlander
Dabbler

He did do a few hurried tests and even helped me to get online although he didn't put the modem/router exactly where I wanted it to be. As a matter of interest, when the plusnet digital care team read this thread tomorrow, would they be able to check that i'm on the right profile and maybe even reset the line if need be? Also one last question, would turning off the "Allow multicast from Broadband Network" in the router settings have an impact on connection or surfing ability? Undecided
By the way, did anybody notice that the BT Speedtest diagnostic page has changed it's design slightly today?
AndyH
Grafter

Why didn't he put the modem where you wanted it?
PN can't reset your line - and they will probably say there is no need to. They can look at your profile and make sure that's set ok though.
The multicast - you can turn that off. Unless you're using some form of IPTV/multicast service, there is no reason to have it enabled.
midlander
Dabbler

Thanks for the info AndyH. I think I will turn that off, it comes ticked as standard I think. I wanted the modem/router in a room that didn't have the master socket in it. Thats by the front door  without any power nearby. So we had to use an extention lead. Doesn't look good but I'll sort that out later.
dai
Grafter

Andy H, is there any further news on when the possible rollout of profile 30a, and g.vectoring are possibly going to be rolled out by openreach?
AndyH
Grafter

@ dai - Only what I've read on the net (no details of any trials/dates). There was a detailed discussion on it a couple of months back on thinkbroadband - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4202757-maximum-speed-for-line.html?fpart=all&vc=1
dai
Grafter

Cheers Andy. G.vectoring, from the small amount I have read, seems like it could be a real answer to many problems, particaulary on long lines that people are currently facing.