Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ofcom outlines new anti-piracy rules

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Ofcom outlines new anti-piracy rules

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jun/26/ofcom-outlines-anti-piracy-rules

Illegal downloaders will start receiving warning letters from internet service providers from 1 March 2014, under a draft code for the government's anti-digital piracy regime drawn up by media regulator Ofcom.
Under the draft code, published on Tuesday by the regulator, the UK's biggest ISPs – BT, Everything Everywhere, O2, Sky, TalkTalk Group and Virgin Media – will be required to send letters to customers warning them when there is an allegation from a film, TV or music company that there has been illegal downloading from their computer.
Web users who get three warning letters in a year will face having anonymous information of their downloading and filesharing history provided to copyright owners, which could then be used to gain a court order to reveal the customer's identity and take legal action against piracy.
Internet users will be able to appeal against a report on their alleged infringement, at a cost of £20, which will be refunded if they are successful.....

How does Plusnet intend to implement this mad scheme?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

9 REPLIES 9
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Ofcom outlines new anti-piracy rules

I'm the contact within Plusnet about this.  Not much I can say about it at the minute though.  ISPs have a month to pull their feedback on the plans and pass them into OFCOM.  I'll try and put out some information about how it affects our customers when I'm able to. 
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Un
Illegal downloaders will start receiving warning letters........... when there is an allegation from a film, TV or music company that there has been illegal downloading from their computer..

Shouldn't this be Illegal file sharers will start receiving warning letters?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Lawyers are probably already rubbing their hands together over this poorly thought out claptrap.
If it ever happens refunding £20 will just be the start of any successful appeal.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Quote from: Strat
Quote from: Un
Illegal downloaders will start receiving warning letters........... when there is an allegation from a film, TV or music company that there has been illegal downloading from their computer..

Shouldn't this be Illegal file sharers will start receiving warning letters?

And that shows how much they really know...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

It'll be a legal minefield ::).....or should that be goldmine Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dfunked
Grafter

I can't believe the cheek of forcing people to pay to clear their name!!! Not that I disagree with the rest of it, but I just feel that that part really takes the biscuit...
I'd love to know the kind of information they propose to send to people in these letters...
godsell4
Rising Star

Exactly what evidence must they provide before they are allowed to require the ISP to send the letter? Evidence against the defence needs to be declared, I think, but I am not a lawyer.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: dfunked
I'd love to know the kind of information they propose to send to people in these letters...

The part I found quite amusing was:
Quote from: BBC
The messages will also contain information about where to find licensed material online.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Can't these ambulance chasers only detect the uploading of illegal material - not any downloading of the same material (unless they tap my phoneline)?
I can't see how they can show that an encrypted bit-torrent is anything more than a communication of unknown content between two known ip addresses.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."