Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd results using Speed Tester

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Odd results using Speed Tester

I have an odd effect when using the Plusnet speed tester. I have 3 computers on my local network. One uses Vista and the other 2 Linux. If I do a speed test on the Vista machine or the Laptop running Mint there is no problem. The speed test program works correctly, shows the current speed and the history option correctly shows the previous tests I have done on that machine. However when I do a test with the other computer running Ubuntu although the current speed is shown correctly the history is complete nonsense. It shows dates and times when the computer was not even switched on and speeds that are very much below what I ever get. When I do a speed test only the computer I am using is switched on by the way.
4 REPLIES 4
itsme
Grafter

Re: Odd results using Speed Tester

I run Ubuntu and have no problem with the speed test history
The history is stored locally as a cookie. So I suggest deleting the history cookie and do another test.
custos
Aspiring Pro

OK but deleting the cookies does not delete the history of the speed tests. However the erroneous information has now been replaced by the same information that is shown on the laptop. It looks as if the 'real' history is stored globally somewhere and not on the individual computer. Curiouser and curiouser  🙂
custos
Aspiring Pro

I have just done another test and can confirm that all the computers now show the same history, so whilst deleting the cookies on the machine that was showing the erroneous information has cleared the problem I was getting (thank you very much) the speed tester history data is stored somewhere else, presumably on the speed testers server?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi custos,
AFAIK data is stored server side with us and linked via the IP address that was used to run the test from.