cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd problem with connectivity and routers

andysen
Grafter

Odd problem with connectivity and routers

I've been using Plusnet since March this year. Since the default supplied Thomson router left much to be desired, I switched to a generic flashed ex-Sky Netgear ADSL router (DG934G) in July. After 10 days of  of working normally, the connection went down, support ran tests and  cited sync issues. Immediately switching back to the Thomson router did not help.
It took nearly 4 weeks to get it sorted, the official verdict being problems with the sockets at the exchange. After about 5 days of uptime with the Thomson router, I tried the Netgear router again. Connectivity went down after about working for 12 hours. Again immediately switching back to the Thomson router did not help.
This time Plusnet/BT was able to fix the problem within a week , not sure what the official verdict was. I am currently back to using Thomson.
My question is - is it possible that using the Netgear router is causing issues at the exchange ? I would really like to use a different Router as the current Thomson one has numerous pain points.

3 REPLIES 3
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Odd problem with connectivity and routers

Hi AndyS,
I would never say anything was impossible but I would say it is incredibly unlikely that could ever happen, so I would definitely not consider that to be a cause. If you get a good connection with the netgear then there's no reason it shouldn't stay up. AFAIK that router is ADSL2+ compatible
Jojo Smiley
andysen
Grafter

Joanne,  don't you think its incredibly odd the connection goes down a few hours after connecting the Netgear router? After all this has happened twice earlier.
Am wondering if you've come across this issue before.
Of course, I can try connecting the Netgear router again (our 'Thomson' connection has been up and stable for about 12 days now) - but the prospect of another week without connectivity is a good deterrent to experiment.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI AndyS,
Never heard of a router causing an issue like that before, but as the old saying goes, if it's not broke, don't fix it!
If it were a thomson causing this then we would probably send you a new one but as it's not a plusnet supplied router it's not advisable for us to recommend you use another router if ours is working fine.
Jojo Smiley