Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd problem with connecting to the router

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Odd problem with connecting to the router

I'll crawl back into me 'ole then :), though when was fware updated?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I think I better do the same  Roll_eyes
RR clearly has taken one post out of context of the whole situation, yes I'm saying W7 has issues that can cause it to hang the router beyond redemption as well as hanging itself  Huh
pengyou
Grafter

Have you tried using a different power supply for the router? Some router power supplies only seem to last a couple of years.
When my D-Link DSL-2640B router stopped working after about 18 months use (it started dropping connections several times an hour) I bought a Netgear DG834GT to replace it.
I was going to throw the D-Link router out as my computer could no longer access the router's web interface but thought it might be worth trying a different power supply for it. The new power supply made the D-Link router work again so I kept it as a backup (the Netgear provides a more reliable connection on my long line).
After two and a half years the Netgear started to play up and started dropping the connection several times a day (normally it could keep connections up for weeks at a time). Changing the power supply restored the Netgear to normal operation.
dragona
Grafter

Dont suppose you happened to plug it in a different ethernet port on the router?
I've experienced similar problems in the past with a DG384G v3 where the router showed i was connected and lights showed on port/front and the same with the computer(port showed connectivity and i got the swirl of death on my network connection when trying to connect to it)
It turned out that when connecting by DHCP on one particular port on the router it would refuse to issue an IP (the other 3 ports issued via dhcp with no problems)  I got mine to work by manually configuring an IP/subnet/gateway/DNS as the only IP obtainable was a 169.*.*.* which was useless to me if i wanted to use the lan/internet.
Thought it might be worth a mention the router works perfectly except for this one port.
-Ash
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: lucerne
I'll crawl back into me 'ole then :),

Sorry, it was a fair suggestion but I have a very low opinion of Microsoft's Windows 7 Compatibility database - which I am sure you would share if you had used it much.  
Quote from: Anotherone
I think I better do the same  Roll_eyes
RR clearly has taken one post out of context of the whole situation, yes I'm saying W7 has issues that can cause it to hang the router beyond redemption as well as hanging itself  Huh

It seems to me that the two cases are radically different, even though the end result is the same.  Faults that can be cured by rebooting a computer are commonplace.  But I don't think you could program a computer to hang a router port if you knew what you were doing so it's quite an achievement if Windows 7 manages to do this by accident.  If Oldjim's fault it the same as mine then disconnecting so the router sees the port is no longer in use (and the light goes out) then reconnecting does no good.  The port is still hung until the router is restarted.  
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: ReedRichards
  If Oldjim's fault it the same as mine then disconnecting so the router sees the port is no longer in use (and the light goes out) then reconnecting does no good.  The port is still hung until the router is restarted. 
It is but W7 is still reporting occasional loss of DNS lookup so my next step is to use DNS servers on my computer not via the router and see if that fixes the errors
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
It seems to me that the two cases are radically different, even though the end result is the same.  Faults that can be cured by rebooting a computer are commonplace.  But I don't think you could program a computer to hang a router port if you knew what you were doing so it's quite an achievement if Windows 7 manages to do this by accident.  If Oldjim's fault it the same as mine then disconnecting so the router sees the port is no longer in use (and the light goes out) then reconnecting does no good.  The port is still hung until the router is restarted.  

I'll have to add a "me too" to this discussion...
On my ADSL line (ie not the main fibre connection) I have a Win7 box attached to the router (a TG585v7, s/w 7.4.4.7) via a netgear GS108 gigabit switch. There are times when the Win7 box loses communication with the router, and the solution is to reboot the router. Rebooting the switch, or unplugging leads makes no difference. I don't think I've tried rebooting the PC before - I'd usually prefer to keep most of my programs running, thank you.
There are other devices plugged into the switch, so I'll pay a little more attention next time it fails, and check what devices are left out of touch.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

RR, I think you are misunderstanding what I'm getting at. Obviously the outcomes are radically different, if radical is a reasonable word to use. in one case as you say the modem/router has to be rebooted, and in the other a computer reboot is needed. But at the end of the day it's the way W7 manages Network Connections that causes either event. And at a guess it's probably the same flaky bit of code that's responsible for either event. I'm still interested to see what IP address from either ipconfig or the Connection Status that the computer has when an event has occurred.
I've seen both types of event with XP, but it's a rare occurrence. In the case where the modem/router needs a reboot, the network is fine, I did check Connection Status and check the IP addresses & all devices on the network could still talk to each other so it's not port related either.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

My standard procedure when it used to happen was to switch on my laptop, connect wirelessly to the router (which was still connected to the Internet) and ask the router to disconnect.  Then I would power down the router.  Then wait a while.  Then turn it on again.  All in attempt to ensure that the DLM did not see the restart an an unforced event.  But the point is that the wireless connection was still up and the internet connection was still up.