Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd entries in router logs

FIXED
phile
Grafter

Odd entries in router logs

I've noticed a repeated pattern in my router logs lately and I wonder if anyone might be able to shed light on it. I get pairs of entries every couple of days as follows:

LOGOUT User logged out on TELNET (IP address of my PC)

IDS scan parser : tcp syn scan: IP address of my PC scanned at least 20 ports at IP address of my router. (1 of 1) : IP address of my PC IP address of my router 0052 TCP 49693->993 [S.....] seq 1241808043 win 8192

To be clear: I never Telnet into the router myself, and no Telnet login is ever recorded in the router log, so why am I seeing a logout? And why is my PC port-scanning my router?

I've run system scans with Avast! and Malwarebytes and both have come back clean.

Can anyone suggest why I'm seeing these log entries?

3 REPLIES 3
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Odd entries in router logs

Fix

Avast! does network scans  https://blog.avast.com/2014/11/04/avast-2015-new-feature-home-network-security-scanning/

So that maybe the answer.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
phile
Grafter

Aha! That may well be it. I'll try switching Network Security off for a while just to see if the log entries stop.

Thanks!

phile
Grafter

Turning Avast Network Security off stopped the port scanning of my router from my PC. After turning Network Security back on, the scanning resumed. So now I know it's definitely Avast and therefore benign.

Thanks for your help!