Did you mean: 

Odd Speedtest readings (0 upload) and occasional slow internet

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Re: Odd Speedtest readings (0 upload) and occasional slow internet

Use the phone fault link below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Dropping has been quite infrequent now and not always impacted by phone any more. 

So I have just now gone back to the old 582n in the master socket with all changed cabling and microfilter and am running routerstats. Hopefully I can get some info to report back to PN who are awaiting this info on my ticket.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Well after SNRM pretty much flat-lining since Tuesday 1400 hrs when I installed the 582 into the master with new filter and cabling I was beginning to think there might have been an issue with the old kit but 1900hrs tonight in comes a call and bang - down she goes. I then called myself every 15 mins and although it didn't drop again its obviously having an impact - see plots. Will update my ticket with the info.

Jon

Tx_Sync_Speed_(Kbps)-2017Oct18-2004.jpgRx_Noise_margin_(dB)-2017Oct18-2004.jpgTx_Noise_margin_(dB)-2017Oct18-2003.jpg

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Jon,

Good result, though the Rx speed plot is more useful please.

New filter would rather rule out one of the usual culprits for use of the phone trashing the BB ... the next culprit tends to be the in-exchange splitter card.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Sorry, picked the wrong one from image in file manager - see belowRx_Sync_Speed_(Kbps)-2017Oct18-2045.jpg

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Well I can't say I'm happy as I'm pretty sure there is an underlying line problem but PN have just been on the phone and told me they have turned interleaving on and upped the SNR to 9 in an attempt to improve things. Presumably that will just mask the issue as has been suggested before?

Jon

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Jon,

I think on this occasion Plusnet might well have got this wrong.  Whilst this change might mask the stability issue, it will be at the expense of DS (Rx) speed.  Given the profile of the problem, I am doubtful that this change will actually fix the issue - the "noise" created by the use of the phone is likely to be more than 9dB.  You need to keep the monitoring up and verify correlation of the use of the phone and the SNRM transgressions.  Based on past experience, there is a fault either with the filter or in the exchange ... and you reported that you changed the filter! Cool_smiley

For clarity, when previously you stated "correlation with the use of the phone" was that outbound, inbound calls or both?

You can simulate both outbound and inbound calls by the use of 17070 option 1 (ring back tests).  Try it when the weather is wet.  Check the phone line regularly for noise (QLT) especially when the weather is bad.  Note that the use of the phone can "fix" bad joints ... for a while!!

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Hi @Townman

I too think they have not taken full account of the history and data with this case. I will continue to monitor in order to try and get data to demonstrate to them that there is a problem that needs dealing with not masking.

In the graph above with the drop and then the dips every 15 minutes that was with an incoming call from my Mum that dropped the connection. After that I phoned in from my mobile every 15 mins and that caused the dips. Outgoing calls tend to have much less effect - if anything causing a slight rise in SNRM (1-2 dB).

You point about regular use of the line improving things is interesting as we normally get very few incoming landline calls and the one from Mum that dropped it was after a period of no calls. Maybe all the recent activity to check the line has made things a little better. I will keep dialling in and out esp. in poor weather but might leave a period of a day or two in-between.

I have just rebooted the router on PN instructions (after 4 hours of their intervention) but I am still at 6/6 so I am not sure their intervention has had any impact.

Regards

Jon

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Depends - you need to compare the synch speed at 6/6. I suspect that interleaving may have been instituted or raised.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

synch speeds almost identical to pre-intervention

Intervention about 17.10, reboot around 20.40

Rx_Noise_margin_(dB)-2017Oct21-2122.jpgTx_Noise_margin_(dB)-2017Oct21-2122.jpgTx_Sync_Speed_(Kbps)-2017Oct21-2125.jpg

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Rx_Sync_Speed_(Kbps)-2017Oct21-2127.jpg

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

So far download speeds about the same (13). U/L seems to have taken a hit though. Usually around 1 but now 0.6-0.7

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Although line largely fine and still intermittent problems to my mind there is still a problem that needs sorting. Usually calls don't cause a problem but the following happened with an incoming last night:

Tx_Sync_Speed_(Kbps)-2017Oct24-0856.jpgRx_Noise_margin_(dB)-2017Oct24-0856.jpgTx_Noise_margin_(dB)-2017Oct24-0855.jpgRx_Sync_Speed_(Kbps)-2017Oct24-0856.jpg

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

This happened during the night - no incoming call:

Rx_Sync_Speed_(Kbps)-2017Oct24-0900.jpgTx_Sync_Speed_(Kbps)-2017Oct24-0900.jpgTx_Noise_margin_(dB)-2017Oct24-0900.jpgRx_Noise_margin_(dB)-2017Oct24-0859.jpg

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The blip on the inbound call is neither here nor there - the connection did not drop, there was nothing of note on the Rx SNRM.

The over night connection drop could have been related to some DLM change on the line.  Note that there is a distinct change in Tx speed and a small improvement in Rx speed.  Might be worth restarting the router sometime during day light hours and see what the metrics then look like.