Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Speedtest readings (0 upload) and occasional slow internet

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Odd Speedtest readings (0 upload) and occasional slow internet

Over the past week or two I have noticed my speeds drop off occasionally The BT speedtester shows them to be a bit slower than the usual 12-13 (maybe 6-7) but it soon seems to right itself.

however, it is doing it now and have run a speedtest. Download = 12, upload = 0!

I have repeated the test several times and get a report of 0 for upload most times.

Is BT's tester broken or is it me?

PT

99 REPLIES 99
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Re: Odd Speedtest readings (0 upload) and occasional slow internet

Still getting problems with slow speed, particularly uploads but now more frequently with downloads.

BT speedchecker further diagnostics now gives me this when i try to run it:

The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

Any ideas?

thanks

PT

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Please post router stats rather than speed test results.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Hi Towman,

seem to remember you helping me out last time I had a problem which drove me nuts and ended up being a line problem. I hope its not as difficult to solve this time.

not sure what stats you want. Using a TP-LINK D5 (AC1200) and it shows the following:

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 338 7407
Max Rate (Kbps) 704 15780
SNR Margin (dB) 18.6 20.4
Line Attenuation (dB) 19.1 31
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

Log attached

Jon

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Just rebooted and stats look better but this usually happens and then it deteriorates. Not noticing any disconnects that might cause slowing.

Speedtest also at 13/1 with ping at 32 which is about normal for me. Still getting error when trying to run further diagnostics on BT tester.

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 1279 16128
Max Rate (Kbps) 1316 16160
SNR Margin (dB) 7.2 6.1
Line Attenuation (dB) 17.6 29.5
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Those stats aren't looking too bad now, there may have been a spike of interference that caused the lower speeds. Keep an eye on it and let us know if you have issues again.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@PhyllisTyne,

Hi Jon,

Yes I have helped you before.  The first set of stats were rather grim and imply that at the time the router resynch'd there was a LOT of noise present - hence the rather slow synch speed.

Watching the SNRM and synch speed will be essential to understand what is happening here.  SNRM will vary all of the time according to the presence or absence of background noise.  Constant monitoring with something like router stats is a useful and visible way of examining what is really happening.

Watch out for disconnects and resynchs and take a note of any synch speed variability ... do not depend on BT speed tests for informing you of what's happening until after you have experienced a stable connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @Townman. Will pay closer attention to it for a bit. Hope i don't have to get the old PN router out again to run router stats. Not sure it compatible with the current TPLink

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Well @Townman

after about 3 good weeks have had a mare for the last couple of hours. not sure what is going on. Seems like regular drops. Please see attached log.

Router status now:

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 1187 15757
Max Rate (Kbps) 1224 15936
SNR Margin (dB) 8.2 6.2
Line Attenuation (dB) 17.6 30.5
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Jon,

Have you been running Routerstats please?  Have you done a QLT when seeing disconnections?

When you get repeated disconnections (as per the log) try ringing the phone to see if the router reconnects quicker.  If it does, than that rather points to an intermittent voice line fault.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Not running routerstats as not compatible with router AFAIK. Everything has been looking fine on router status since I posted some rough results earlier in this thread.
Don't have corded phone to check noise but will see what cordless sounds like next time it happens. Will also dial phone to see if it results in speedier connection.
Jon
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Hi @Townman

Lots of problems this morning.

I can't run routerstats with my router but I have discovered the following:

doing a QLT invariably causes the connection to drop - although any other calls don't seem to which probably means it is not my filters? Wife is on phone at moment and has been for 30 mins without issue.

It takes a while to reconnect but I am not sure whether it is quicker to connect if I dial my line whilst it is trying. I think it is quicker subjectively.

The upstream SNR varies from about 5-9 when making a QLT before the connection goes.

If I leave it to reconnect by itself it seems to connect at about 7. If I dial my line when it is tryng it seems to connect at about 15 and then settles back down to about 7.

When doing a QLT there does seem to be noise on the line before the connection goes and it is a crackling that we do not normally notice on our cordless handset. It is not there all the time but does seem most noticeable as the connection goes.

Thanks for continuing to help.

Jon

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

PS. As I watch SNR with wife still on phone it is varying 3.3 and 14 but is holding a connection.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

no noise now on QLT and connection not dropping whilst testing! Looks like its going to be on of these intermittent issues that are difficult to pin down like the last time. Maybe PN can do a line test for a start?

Rebooted router and have the following which is about normal. Will watch throughout the day.

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 1279 16116
Max Rate (Kbps) 1312 16196
SNR Margin (dB) 7.3 6.1
Line Attenuation (dB) 17.5 29.5
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Connection dropped twice since reboot - sigh?!

SNR now at 11.4

QLT shows noise and causing drops again