Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Speedtest readings (0 upload) and occasional slow internet

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Odd Speedtest readings (0 upload) and occasional slow internet

Every day this week chat agents have said that it has been assigned to an agent and someone will call me on the day.

Monday:

AGENT - 

Chris will update you this afternoon with further details

Tuesday:

AGENT (raised a ticket as connection dropped during chat) - 

Unfortunately our chat dropped while I was looking into your fault.  I can see this has been assigned to a faults agent to get in touch with you soon. I am very sorry this did not happen yesterday as you were promised. I hope that this case can be resolved for you once we have been in touch.

Wednesday:

AGENT - 

I can only apologise and pass this on to a team leader to make sure this is picked up for you first thing tomorrow.

Jon: Thank you and I hope it is this time.
AGENT

No problem at all

Jon: Iwill be in touch first thing Friday morning to complain if no-one contacts me tomorrow. I have been with PN since F9 and am not happy with the treatment over the last week.
AGENT:

Again, I'm sorry our faults team haven't been updating you as they should be.

Needless to say no-one has been in touch.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

I agree the intermittent nature of the fault makes and engineer visit a risk at cost but something needs to be done and the CS has been unacceptable.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Superuser esclation

This topic has been esclated by one of the Superusers; please allow time for Plusnet to respond before commenting further.

Escalation is no assurance that this matter will be resolved any quicker or differently to how it is presently.

Reason for escalation:  Cited in matter under discussion

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I'm taking a look into this now for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

So testing your line is showing your speeds within estimates and the physical connection stable?

xDSL Status Check.
  Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 17.1 29.0
SNR Margin: 6.3 6.6
Errored Seconds: 0 1
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 346395 5877562
Speed: 1137 16271

Connection.

Are you seeing more drops than indicated above? And is your phone line noisy?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf

...if I may...

This line has shown a protracted history of problems (I've helped Jon a few times over the months).  I guess right now it is a matter of: "To what extent are repeated DSL drops, in conjunction of the use of the phone, a signpost to a more extensive failure - sooner rather than later?".  IIRC Jon has replaced his filter, interleaving and SNRM adjustments have not eliminated phone call related stability, but otherwise all looks good in terms of synch speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Hi Anoush

thanks for geting on to this.

They pretty much tie in with my routerstats plots. Last Friday morning was bad and correlated well with the use of the phone. This is sometimes the case although not always. sometimes the phone use will have a small impact on SNRM and other times non. When the correlation is there I have thought that the line sounded noisy but again this is not always the case.

Round about 1800 on Wednesday was when the TG582 seemed to fry so rebooted it and then connected back to the TP-Link as the TG582 seemed to have problems reconnecting and the wifi light stayed on solid red..

However, The TP-Link was having problems with the line before I went back to the TG582n so I could run routerstats, so I do not think the problem is attributable to the TG582.

The history of this thread I think shows we have an intermittent problem with the line.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

"To what extent are repeated DSL drops, in conjunction of the use of the phone, a signpost to a more extensive failure - sooner rather than later?". 

I'm happy to arrange an engineer visit but there's a very likely possibility of the engineer finding no problems with the service and a call out fee being applied.

@PhyllisTyne Let us know if you'd like to go ahead.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

So what else do I do? Just wait for the line to go completely which might be several months / years and have to put up with regular dropouts and an unacceptable BB service in the interim?

What else might it be if not a line fault? I think we have explored all other options.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Our suppliers usually define an intermittent connection as about 10 drops within a 24 hour period, though we'd raise faults with fewer than that on a case by case basis.

In your situation, you're getting drops about once a week so it's likely an engineer will simply find no fault. However, an engineer may find a fault but we'd both need to take the risk of a callout charge to find that out I'm afraid.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

so what is my liability on a call out if no fault is found?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Anoush,

Above I think you meant 10 drops in 24 hours not days.

Jon,

Looking at the plots you've posted there does not seem to be an impact on synch speed after the drops - unless I've missed something. Other than it takes a minute or two to reconnect how else is your use impacted?

Given that you seem to have identified a correlation between phone activity and drops at least you know the nature of the beast - it is not completely random. That knowledge alone is worth the journey.

The less the phone is used the fewer the drops (for example I hardly use mine at all) but for some one making extensive use of their phone - say 20 times a day - if it takes 2+ minutes to reconnect in total you could lose a whole hour of connection time. In such circumstances one wonders if BTOR might be more able to locate a potential cause.

Personally I would just now keep a watch on the level and frequency of line noise by doing regular QLTs (say 30 intervals when you are home) log the results and note if the just happens to be a consequent line drop.

Might mess with the DLM a little... but it strengthens the evidential basis of the current theory.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Above I think you meant 10 drops in 24 hours not days.

I did indeed.

so what is my liability on a call out if no fault is found?

A £65 fee.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks both,

was thinking of plugging away doing more tests hoping for a deterioration. Otherwise we could end up getting an engineer out several times before he is lucky enough to be here when the problem is evident. I will stick with the TP-Link whilst is only a few drops a week as the 582n wifi with my number of devices is pretty poor but I would need something to run routerstats on if things go downhill. As I have no confidence now in the current 582n I have been using as it is several years old and is misbehaving can you arrange for a new router please Anoush so i can hook it up if needs be. I am aware I may have to pay P&P

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

@Townman My use is not impacted that much except for it being irritating when I'm in the middle of something. The major issue is when wife and kids are streaming movies / catch-up etc and it goes down. I am likely to be seriously abused if this carried on happening, particularly over the Xmas period!