Did you mean: 

Odd Fault

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Odd Fault

Hi
I've currently got a problem which seems quite strange to me.  My router disconnected today and when trying to reconnect is getting Authentication Failed (no details have changed on the router).  If I try the username from a different Plusnet account (I have quite a few different broadband connects!) it connects fine without a problem.  I've been on to support for nearly an hour and we've tried other routers with the same results.  bt_test_user@plusdsl.net (and bt_test_user@plusdsl2.net) also fail authentication.  Support has raised it as a fault and has escalated it for an engineer visit, but I'm unsure how it could be BT related as other users (on the same domain) works without an issue.
For some time I've been using plusdsl2.net as the domain, but we've been trying both that and plusdsl.net.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

9 REPLIES 9
mikehiow
Grafter

Re: Odd Fault

I'm pretty sure the bt test account is bt_test_user@startup_domain?
It could be an issue on the BT radius servers but It seems incredibly odd that yours fails and others don't, though - have you tried this account on one of your other connections?
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Mike
bt_test@startup_domain worked without an issue.  The guy on support told me to then try the other ones.  I've not tried my account on one of the other connections yet.  They are all in other locations, so may drive out to one and give it a go later on.
Thanks
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Hi
I've tried the username and password on a different PlusNet line and get the same authentication errors, so it is definitely not down to my line!
Phil

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

I'm not sure how it would make any difference, but I've just tried again on a different Plusnet line connected to a totally different exchange, still with the Authentication Failed issues.  I'm sure if Plusnet did a dial test they would be able to see the same thing.
Thanks
Phil

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Phil,
Sorry about that - hoping that with the help of Dave we've got this sorted, if you change the realm in your router back to plusdsl.net that should sort things for you (and get you your static IP back Smiley )
Hope that helps.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Matt, I'll give it ago later on this afternoon when I get home.
Thanks
Phil

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Matt (and Dave), that seems to have done the trick.  What was it?
Thanks
Phil

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We did some session steering work recently in order that we'd be able to balance the 20CN connections on our gateways. This unfortunately broke the plusdsl2.net realm - granted unintentionally, but there were only a handful of users still connecting on it and we think we've caught them all now.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Matt.
Phil