cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining line stats when using an iMac computer.

davidhil
Dabbler

Obtaining line stats when using an iMac computer.

I am using a iMac computer with OS X10.3.9 installed along with a BT Voyager 105 modem.
Can anyone kindly advise me how to obtain my line stats using this set up, particularly the SNR and attenuation figures? So far I have been unsuccessful in getting these despite using Kitz and other similar sites.
Regards to all,
Davidhil
11 REPLIES 11
James
Grafter

Re: Obtaining line stats when using an iMac computer.

I'm afraid I don't know how to generate your line stats on your Mac, but here there are, albeit a little messy:
Upstream Link Info 
  Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin Errored Seconds HecErrors Cell Count Speed
21.5  23 0 0 9141 448

Downstream Link Info 
  Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin ErroredSeconds HecErrors CellCount Speed
44.5  17 1 0 217421 1248

Shows your:
Attenuation as 21.5 / 44.5
SNR as 23 / 17
Sync as 448 / 1248
I would be very apprehensive of the downstream noise margin being as high at 17dB on a line of that length.  Would you be able to try changing your filters and ensuring that you are connected to your master socket.  Let me know once you have done this and I'll try again.
davidhil
Dabbler

Dear James,
Many thanks for your helpful suggestions which I have taken note of.
I have changed the filters that I am using but I cannot unfortunately connect to the master socket. This is due to the fact that a BT engineer rewired our telephone system about a year ago after us having reported a fault and the master socket was relocated in our loft which is far removed from where my computer is located and is therefore not accessible. In the circumstances I think that a little background information may be helpful to you.
We are located some 3 miles from our telephone exchange and the latest BT speed test results recorded at 15.28 hours today I have are:-
IP Profile 750 kbps.  Download 1248 kbps. Upload 448 kbps. Actual download throughput 447 kbps.
Our neighbour who is connected to the same telephone line located some 600 yards from us has an IP Profile of some 3000 kbps. At the end of January this year we managed to get an IP Profile of some 2000 kbps for a few days and then on the 14 February it actually rose to 2500 kbps which gave a download throughput of 1325 kbps. Subsequently there has been a gradual decrease in my IP Profile so that we have now reached the present one which I consider unsatisfactory bearing in mind the foregoing. I have carried out the tests which you detail many times apart from the use of the Master Socket. The other electrical equipment being used in the house has not changed during the intervening period. As a matter of course I try to monitor my speed on a more or less daily basis using the BT Speedtester.
If you could kindly try making your test a further time to see what results are obtained I shall be grateful. Also if you have any further suggestions I will be happy to try them out.
Kind regards,
Davidhil
James
Grafter

Upstream Link Info 
  Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin Errored Seconds HecErrors Cell Count Speed
22  23 0 0 282 448

Downstream Link Info 
  Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin ErroredSeconds HecErrors CellCount Speed
45.5  17 0 0 703 1408

Attenuation: 22/45.5
SNR: 23/17
Sync: 448/1408
So not a massive improvement I'm afraid.
My biggest concern is that you're unable to connect to your master socket.  Do you have any way of getting hold of a wireless router or anything like that?  I would really expect at least a slight improvement to your line stats, which should result in an improvement in speed.
I can make a slight change for you at our end which will make a slight improvement to your speed (hopefully 200-250Kbps), which I'll do now.  You'll need to reboot to see the changes.
davidhil
Dabbler

Dear James,
Many thanks for your prompt answer from which I note that you have made a slight change at your end which might improve matters marginally. I have rebooted and conducted two further BT speedtests the results of which are shown below:-
        Download  Upload  IP Profile  Throughput    Time
          kbps          kbps      kbps          kbps     

26.9.07   1248     448       750       571      20.48
27.9.07   1375     448       750       687      10.19
Regarding your suggestion about using a wireless router I have not access to one of these presently. I am using the modem which you exchanged earlier in the year following my raising a Ticket. However I will look into the question of installing a router if you think that it would make for a more stable connection with an increase in speed. Have you any particular model which you can recommend for this?
I will look forward to reading your next post and thank you for your help which I appreciate.
Kind regards,
Davidhil.
davidhil
Dabbler

Dear Bright Spark,
Many thanks for your suggestion regarding a free router. Presently I am on the legacy product of the Plus Option at £14.99
monthly and as I am at home for most of the time find that this is the best option for myself. I note what you say about my speed increasing and will look forward to this happening.
I have been giving the question of my present set up some more thought and am enclosing an attachment of the way our telephone system is connected. We do not have any other equipment other than the two extensions and there no Sky link or such like. Can you advise me if the configuration  as set out is correct, or could it be improved upon?
I will look forward to seeing what you think and thank you for any advice you can give.
Kind regards,
Davidhil.

James
Grafter

Hi David,
Thank you for showing your wiring setup.
There is a high level of line loss when you start using extension cabling, especially to the extent that you have been doing so.  I'm afraid that I have to say that I wouldn't expect any improvement without your testing from your master socket, which I do appreciate is troublesome.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Surge protectors can be troublesome on broadband. Can you try without that connected and see if it makes a difference.
The only other option I can suggest is to use cat 5e UTP cable rather than phone cable from the master socket to the other sockets, and possibly fit a ADSL filter plate to the master socket and run a dedicated unfiltered Cat 5e cable down to your ADSL modem with the filtered going to the other sockets.
But first you need to see if plugging direct into your master socket will give you any improvement.
davidhil
Dabbler

Dear James and Peter,
Very many thanks for your kind responses to my last posting. I have today been able to obtain a lead that I was able to connect directly from the Master Socket in our loft to my computer thus cutting out the surge protector. The results of these tests are shown below:-
DOWNLOAD      UPLOAD    IP PROFILE    THROUGHPUT   
    KBPS       KBPS     KBPS                KBPS
    1344         448            750                449 Without MSkt     
    1568                448            750                446 Master Socket           
    1376 448       750 446 Without MSkt           
Regarding the surge protector I live in rural Scotland where the electricity supply is by means of overhead cables with each house having it's own transformer. We are subjected to two or three thunder storms annually and the result of these is often that the supply will spike. Our neighbours who have not installed a surge protector have had their telephone and computer equipment blown on a number of occasions and I therefor feel that this bit of kit is a good insurance policy - so far I have had one surge protector blown but the computer and telephone system remained unharmed!
It would seem that the connection using the Master Socket did in fact improve the download KBPS slightly and in the circumstances I would be happy to try an alternative method of connecting up to the telephone system. Would it be possible to use a Netgear DG834G Router to provide a link between the Master Socket and the computer thus obviating the present cabling? The point which I do not understand is why, when the equipment throughout our house has not altered all year, there has been this reduction in my IP Profile from a maximum of 2500 kbps to it's present 750 kbps, also the fact that our nighbour's IP Profile is some 3000 kbps  using the same telephone line into the Exchange.
Any further guidance will be much appreciated.
Kind regards,
Davidhil
zubel
Community Veteran

Quick question - was that plugged directly into the test socket behind the NTE faceplace ?
If it was, I'd suggest there is a line fault that has dropped your speeds down.
If not, can you whip a screwdriver out and retest it quickly Smiley
B.
davidhil
Dabbler

Dear Bright Spark,
That was a really quick response! Yes I removed the faceplate and plugged directly into the inside test socket.
Look forward to the next posting.
Kind regards,
Davidhil
James
Grafter

David,
The stats that you have shown show that your sync rate is at its best when using the master socket.  As expected.  However, the difference is not great and as such would not make a massive difference to your speed, if any.