Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG!

FIXED
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: OMG!

Typical - someone who thinks they know it all and can ignore the advise given and then criticises the people who point out the error of their ways.

You would do well to take on board what you hopefully learnt from this episode and if you are advised to use the test socket as a way of eliminating certain possibilities, then do so!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@pvmb wrote:
I could carefully list all the reasons that explain why the above makes no sense at all, but why bother?

It might help if you did, then someone might be able to correct your misunderstandings, if you'd listen, but if you disregard everything everyone else says, then you're right, there would be no useful purpose.

I really don't think it would have been unhelpful, if someone had convinced you earlier to stay connected in the test socket, and then that problem might have been solved earlier.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I really had no intention of adding anything else. But, following two incoming landline phone calls, it is really just too tempting.

Firstly - Note in my above post on this matter I started by declaring 'Fault found'. NOT 'THE Fault found', rather '(A) Fault found'.

Second - I am currently restricted to only using the test socket on the BT Openreach master socket - however inconvenient that is. (The rest of my internal telephone system is currently dismantled!)

This morning I received two incoming phone calls (via test socket).

Both were noisy. Wink

ejs
Aspiring Hero

I believe plenty of good advice has already been given on what you may do about that. Of course it is entirely up to you as to what, if any, action you choose to take.

Yes, of course you're restricted to only using the test socket, and any extension wiring is disconnected - that's the purpose of the test socket, to disconnect your internal wiring to rule it out as the cause of the problem, otherwise you'd probably get charged if you have an engineer out and they find it was your wiring that was the problem.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

You don't say? Smiley

Thinks: "This is getting farcical now!"

ejs
Aspiring Hero

So what do you want the forum community to do?

Going back to something you described earlier, I've got no idea what that line test thing is (not the 17070 service), and I've never read anyone else report anything similar.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Right! First the good news:

Thanks to my own endeavours Smiley and help from the ever pressed PlusNet support staff, my long term line problems have finally (for now!) been sorted out. 'Normal Service' has been resumed. That just leaves one outstanding problem. The community 'support' on these boards.

Following a dispute (see above) with some community support staff (NOT PlusNet staff) I asked how to make a complaint. I was advised I could complain to a 'Forum Moderator' by private message and given a list of names. I duly complained to one of the listed moderators - dvorak.

My message was sent on 11-10-2016, it was 'Read' on 12-10-2016. So far neither dvorak or anyone else has considered it worth bothering to reply to me. Why is that? Or is it that the 'boy's club' of Community Moderators don't think it incumbent on them to stoop to dealing with forum members concerns?

I reproduce my original message here:

To: Moderator dvorak
Sent: ‎11-10-2016 10:35 PM
Read: ‎12-10-2016 9:34 AM

Hello,
"The forums are moderated by a team of customers; Adie (dvorak), Mike (Mav) and Dick (Strat). They volunteer their time freely and help to keep the forums a friendly and welcoming place for all."

Well, I am not finding my thread 'OMG!' in the Broadband Forum so "friendly and welcoming" after unwelcome comments by one 'ejs'.

After a less than helpful interjection by 'ejs' I firmly, but not rudely, told him I was not interested. He persisted commenting. I challenged him to "Put up or shut up!" and he still came back - with a lot of sarky comments and effectively calling my posts a "wind-up". I don't appreciate being addressed in such a manner on a BB.

As he was clearly determined to press on and, despite my warmings, was certainly not taking the hint, I then made it very clear to him that I did not want his silly comments - using no swear words in the process. Why would I not?

MY (hopefully) final comment to 'ejs' was then 'Moderated' my 'Mav'. The comments of 'ejs' do not seem to have been similarly 'Moderated'.

The Moderation by Mav was accompanied by the comment: "The comments I removed from your post were insulting and/or derogatory directly to ejs and uncalled for."

In my opinion they WERE called for, given his sarcastic, "insulting and/or derogatory" remarks and his plain intention to carry on regardless. Despite my previous indication that I was not interested.

I do not find this satisfactory at all.
pvmb

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I don't think you are going to get much sympathy around here. You blatantly ignored the standard fault finding procedure and the advice given on here regarding the test socket and then criticise those who in spite of your rude comments to them tried to help you. In the end it turned out that if you had followed the advice the issue would have been identified quicker!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Since I'm the one being complained about, I'll give my side of the story.

@pvmb wrote:

After a less than helpful interjection by 'ejs'

It is your opinion that is was unhelpful, it was not my intention for it to be unhelpful and I do not believe it was. In fact I was urging you to re-check the basics, and then later you discover a problem with the faceplate of your master socket. Which is exactly the kind of thing which would have been eliminated had you been using the test socket. But then later you cleverly tricked anyone reading by saying "fault found" and then later clarifying that is was a fault, but not the whole fault.

I firmly, but not rudely, told him I was not interested.

In message #41, you implied that I have nothing useful to say, that I don't know what I'm talking about. Personally, I find that quite insulting.

He persisted commenting. I challenged him to "Put up or shut up!" and he still came back - with a lot of sarky comments and effectively calling my posts a "wind-up". I don't appreciate being addressed in such a manner on a BB.

You asked me to pay the engineer fee for you (and this was before you'd discovered the problem with the faceplate, but I was supposed to trust that you'd checked at the test socket etc.). So then, after this long and elaborate description of the various fault(s), apparently terrible yet somehow you wouldn't report, now you want my money. Perhaps I should have paid up, presumably I should have to pay someone I don't know £65 in order to prove I do actually have some idea what I'm talking about and not be insulted further.

As he was clearly determined to press on and, despite my warmings, was certainly not taking the hint, I then made it very clear to him that I did not want his silly comments - using no swear words in the process. Why would I not?

MY (hopefully) final comment to 'ejs' was then 'Moderated' my 'Mav'. The comments of 'ejs' do not seem to have been similarly 'Moderated'.

At the time I did see that comment before it was moderated, but perhaps fortunately I've since forgotten exactly what it originally said.

The Moderation by Mav was accompanied by the comment: "The comments I removed from your post were insulting and/or derogatory directly to ejs and uncalled for."

In my opinion they WERE called for, given his sarcastic, "insulting and/or derogatory" remarks and his plain intention to carry on regardless. Despite my previous indication that I was not interested.

Having an opinion does not give someone the right to post all over these forums whatever they want to say about someone else, however much they might think they deserve it.

I do not find this satisfactory at all.
pvmb

I find being repeatedly criticised in public most unsatisfactory too. I've not received anything about all the complaints made against me either. Since I'm the subject of the complaints, I'd like to know the outcome.

Oh, and there aren't really any non-Plusnet "community support staff", we're not staff.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Jelv, no I don't expect I am going to "get much sympathy round here". That was alluded to in my reference to "the boy's club". I can "complain", but nobody is listening or can even be bothered to respond. A bit like Soviet democracy - You can vote, but it doesn't count.

As to the rest of your comments, they exemplify exactly the kind of tosh I have been served up on here.

1. I DID NOT "ignore the standard fault finding procedure" - With which I AM ENTIRELY FAMILIAR, as I have been for YEARS. However, your, and others, inability to get to grips with the reality of the situation is not my responsibility.

Interestingly, in light of what I now know about the causes (PLURAL) of the problems, I will point out to you (and others) that the "standard fault finding procedure" could NOT HAVE WORKED as expected. Why? Because there were TWO similar faults (rectified loop faults) within a few of inches of each other, BOTH SIDES OF THE NTE5 TEST SOCKET. Both faults also being highly intermittent and even plausibly dependent on prevailing local weather conditions.

"In the end it turned out that if you had followed the advice the issue would have been identified quicker!"

No! It did not turn out like that - still not listening I see.

I would like to suggest that you, and others here, need to be less opinionated and to LISTEN more.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

I have locked the thread as the OP's issue seems to be solved and the discussion is not going to offer anything more.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still