cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2's Tu Go service No call volume on incoming or outgoing calls

kenyoung
Grafter

O2's Tu Go service No call volume on incoming or outgoing calls

As the title states I am not able to hear calls through O2's http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go service when I am using my home wifi.  This issue appeared after the last update (I have had PlusNet longer than this and the service worked just fine up and until the last update however O2 do not seem to have taken this into account).
After contacting the Tu Go telephone support team they advised that the issue has to lie with PlusNet as when I am not connected to the PlusNet network calls can be heard just fine.  However I contacted tech support and they were very clear that they do not block the ports that Tu Go uses (Tu Go uses standard HTTP ports).  I have ensured that the volume is not turned down to minimum in error and I have tested using the following:
iPad 3G (3rd Gen), calls work fine on 3G but audio is missing on PlusNet wifi
iPhone 5s and 5 - both of these work fine when not on other wifi networks but audio fails when connected to PlusNet
PlusNet - I have tried 3 different routers to rule out hardware issues, PlusNet Thomson router, Apple Airport Express and also the Extreme.  All of these routers connect to PlusNet fibre using a PPPoE connection, all routers show the same missing audio issues
I have even disconnedted all other equipment that is normally connected to the internet in my house to createa a "one device in use on wifi' - again this does not seem to resolve the issue
As O2 have stated that this must be a PlusNet issue I am keen to test the service on another PlusNet broadband connection.  The good news is that my friend is moving to PlusNet next week so I will test once she is transfered.  However she will not be going onto the fiber connection, just plain old DSL.  Perhaps there are other users that are also on fibre (even another provider) that are also seeing the same issue and that this is perhaps limited to fiber connections?
Who knows?  O2 and PlusNet support don't seem to have the answer, I am hoping that the wider community can help to shed some light on this.
69 REPLIES 69
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: O2's Tu Go service No call volume on incoming or outgoing calls

Is there a log anywhere of what's changed with the new version of the app?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
kenyoung
Grafter

Hi Kelly - I have had a look and can not see a change log for the last update however I do know that one feature did change and that was the ability to turn off voicemail within the Tu Go app.  Up and until then it was in the terms and conditions that voicemail had to be active for the service to work.  The T&C's have now changed.
I do know that the service is built around GSM voicemail technology, this was the reason why voicemail had to be turned on in the past.  Clearly O2 have found a way around the technical requirement for voicemail to be active on the account yet still have the Tu Go service active.  Perhaps it is this change that is affecting the audio?
With this in mind I have tested the application with the voicemail feature turned both on and off - it does not make a difference to the audio issue.
I have also posted a similar question on the O2 forums however nobody has yet replied to the post http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/TU-Go/No-call-volume-on-incoming-or-outgoing-calls/m-p/651049
Kelly
Hero

You can't hear anything right?  Can the person you're calling hear you?
Kelly Dorset
kenyoung
Grafter

A quick test call to my land line to refresh my memory and yes it's inbound audio that is not able to be heard.  I can hear myself just fine when listening on the land line.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Is the Plusnet Firewall off?
http://www.plus.net/support/security/firewalls/broadbandfirewall.shtml
You'll need to disconnect and reconnect if you change a setting
Kelly
Hero

It's probably the firewall.  You have it enabled, see Ticket: 82255026 and Ticket: 82254543 on your account.
Kelly Dorset
kenyoung
Grafter

The Firewall is set to Low, it also notes that VPN is only compatible with the Low setting.  As I use VPN if I turn it off will this still work (I assume it will).
Also, going back to the ports that TuGo uses (standard web ports, 80, 8080 etc) by the simple fact that I can surf the web I should have full access to the TuGo service (this is what O2 have advised)
Kelly
Hero

Flip the firewall off and test it.  You can put it back on immediately and any risk will be low.
It sounds like a firewall-style issue.  Something is blocking the incoming audio, but not the external.  You often hear of issues like this with firewall and VoIP because the firewalls are protecting you from an incoming connection;
Kelly Dorset
kenyoung
Grafter

So I turned the firewall off using the web interface.  Turned off my two modems and then restarted.
Another test call to the land line and I still can not hear inbound audio.
Kelly
Hero

Damn.  Back to the drawing board!
Kelly Dorset
kenyoung
Grafter

Hey Kelly
It would seem that I have something to add to your drawing board but I need to rewind a little first;
Some time late last year I started to notice that my line speed was not as responsive as it was when I was first connected, page DNS lookup times seemed abnormally slow.  Pages often would take an age to start to load but more so when the destination was "off the beaten track”.  Line tests were done and I was advised that everything was all OK, no fault found.
Since this line test we (myself and my partner, the main users of the service) started noticing occasional odd behaviour of a few services; iMessage, Playstation Network and steaming media from home to another external location on the internet.  Nothing much was initially thought of these occasional connectivity issues, we initially saw them as unconnected.
It is about the time that I noticed the issue with Tu Go that I also noticed that some web pages visited would result in a "server stopped responding" browser error.  Again these pages were all off the "beaten track" and again I put this down their unresponsiveness to being less commonly visited pages.  That was until I noticed that if I was on 4G on the O2 network these same “will not load" pages popped just fine and with speed.  Switching back to my PlusNet wifi and the pages would revert to not loading.
So this week I called to have these specific URL's looked into.  I was initially told (after a trace route) that the issue lay outside the PlusNet network.  I called back as I was not comfortable with this answer (why when on O2 do these pages load just fine), second call I did many tests with a colleague.  We configured my network every which way in order to rule out that this was not a local network hardware issue.  After one of the many power cycles needed the web pages all loaded fine on my home wifi.  I was told that the rack I was connected to previously must have been faulty and that was the issue now resolved.  The issue came back within a short period of time so I called again for a 3rd time.  After a very frustrating call consisting of me objection handling with the support agent as to why I did not see any value in wanting to repeat diagnostics that I had already done I finally managed to have support agree that this issue did not lie within my home environment.  This was achieved as I had just tested a direct PPPoe connection using my laptop, an ethernet cable and the BT modem.  The URLs did not load with this configuration however ironically when I reconnected my home network (power cycling once again) I noticed that the web pages worked.
Whilst I was still on the phone to the agent and with the previously blocked pages now loading I immediately performed a few test calls on Tu Go.  All of them connected and the caller at the other end of the phone could be heard just fine.  Eureka!!  No, wait.  This was no eureka moment.  A further power cycle of the modems resulted in "computer says no" once again.  The call was logged for the offline team to look into, should it help the case number is: 84535862.
Since speaking to support last night I have performed further testing of my own.  It takes approximately 6 power cycles to result in connecting to a rack with a stable connection.  The stable connection is short lived, even with no further power cycles at my end the issue reappears after 30-40 minutes.
So in short it would seem that starting with my initial calls from months ago with regards to my connection speed right through to all the other calls up and till today are caused by the same issue;
Tu Go - not able to hear callers on a voice call - Tu Go is a VOIP service that does not use standard VIOP protocol, all traffic goes via ports 80 and 443
iMessage - delays, failed messages (that have not actually failed as you get a reply to the message that has "not been sent") - all traffic goes via ports 80 and 443
Slow web page loads - again standard traffic goes via ports 80 and 443
Failed web pag loads - again standard traffic goes via ports 80 and 443
PS3 - online gaming experience is poor, lags and often does not load or throws me out mid session - whilst other ports do come into play again port 80 and 443 are mainstays of PS3 online
As it looks like all of these issues are connected and in combination with the results from the mountain of diagnostics and network configurations that I have performed of late I would like to suggest the following:
The http headers are malformed somehow
The routing is not correct
Or perhaps there is some other nefarious force in play?
Of course these are all educated guesses as I do not have the same visibility of your network than you do.  Whatever is causing the issue I hope that I have given you enough insight into what is failing to help to resolve the fault quickly.  One of the affected sites is my partner's university portal, this is now only accessible by using 4G tethering and I am worried about running out of data on my mobile plan this month.
Best regards
Ken
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Ken,
What would be useful is to find out which gateway(s) you are connected to when it works.  That would at least point PN towards something!  Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kenyoung
Grafter

Sorry I should have said, support have identified two servers that worked on the ticket that was opened
I don't know what they are, support never advised
Kelly
Hero

That's something to go on.
Can you let us know which gateway you are connected to when you can't use the service?  (This url should tell you: http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway). ; The ticket only shows us a couple of gateway addresses which do work.
Kelly Dorset