cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Boost Box / Cisco 857 Issue

robdaglish

O2 Boost Box / Cisco 857 Issue

Hi All,
I'm hoping someone can help here: I've just paid O2 £180+VAT for the privilege of being able to make phone calls from home via their version of VF's SureSignal.
Box has arrived, and I've connected it to my LAN.  It's received an IP address and responds to pings from other PCs on the LAN, so cabling is fine, but it won't connect to O2.
I've had a look through the forums, and and portforwarding.com, and forwarded the ports mentioned on this page http://community.plus.net/library/settings/using-vodafone-sure-signal-with-plusnets-thomsontechnicol... (basically, 50,123,500,4500 UDP & TCP) and made sure that the ACL's on my router allow all traffic to & from the Boost Box, but it still doesn't work.
My PN Firewall is set to "Off", and having spent a couple of hours on the phone to O2's Connect2Business team, they said "Contact your ISP, we can't guarantee this works with all providers". Needless to say, I'm not a happy bunny with O2 at this point, but does anyone have any suggestions or a port list from one that works that I can try and mirror?
My router is a Cisco 857. I've had look at an SS box I have with another 857 on a client's site, and that has the following rules applied:
access-list 100 remark SureSignal
access-list 100 permit ip host [IP Obscured] any

which matches what's on my router, except their SS works and my Boost Box doesnt Sad
Next step is I'm going to take it to a relative's house and try it on their BB just to see what happens...
5 REPLIES 5
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: O2 Boost Box / Cisco 857 Issue

You might want to read this first http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,107519.0.html
You will see that the main requirement to get the Vodafone Suresignal working is a lot of patience. 
robdaglish

Thanks for the link.  I'd actually read the thread before posting, but still didn't have any joy.  Just to recap what I've tried so far, because I realise it wasn't very explicit in my original post:
Plug & Pray - No Good. Box gets IP and responds to local pings, but doesn't sync to O2.
Check all traffic to & from BoostBox Permitted with a dedicated rule on the router: no change.
Create a specific ACL to permit  ICMP, IP47 (GRE), IP50 (ESP), UDP/TCP 50, UDP/TCP 123 (NTP),  UDP/TCP 500 (IKE), UDP/TCP 4500 (non-500 ISAKMP), UDP/TCP 1701 (L2TP), UDP/TCP 1723 (PPTP) - still no change
Create NAT mappings for above ports to IP Address of BoostBox - still no change.
Now, as far as I'm aware, IP47 and UDP4500 are the NAT-T ports for allowing VPN through a NAT'ing router? Any thoughts on allowing IP51(AH) as well as per this wiki article on NAT-T? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAT_traversal
Cheers,
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Yes but have you tried just waiting about three days, which seems to be what it takes to get the Vodaphone device to spring into life?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Does the CISCO have a DMZ that you can put the boost box into?
Also might be worth seeing if O2 need to whitelist the IP range, as I believe Voda need to do this so you can't use your boost box outside the UK.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi
What version of IOS are you using?  If its a security flavor then you might want to consider the IOS firewall functionality to get the stateful rules rather than having static allow/permit rules in both directions (assuming your not already using that).
It may be worth running a span to another physical port so you can capture the traffic and see what ports its trying to use.
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer