cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nowhere near the speed I was told I would get

46and2
Dabbler

Nowhere near the speed I was told I would get

I have been with Plusnet for a while, and whilst never spectacular, the speeds were ok (ish).  When I moved house, I informed Plusnet and decided to stay with them, and was told by the guy I spoke to that he had done a speedcheck, and that I should expect speeds of upto 17mbs - fantastic!
Hovever, a couple of months later and my speed is less than 1mbs.  At it's peak I have reached the heady heights of just over 2mbs.  Quite a difference from what I was told to expect.  I have used the BT ADSL checker and it indicates that I should be getting a much faster speed than what I have.
To be honest, I feel like I have been conned, if I knew as I was going to get such a poor speed I wouldn't have carried on with PN, as my research indicates that people around me are getting phenomenal speeds.  
Could it be that something needs tweaking or am I doomed to forever suffer such slowness?
26 REPLIES 26
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Nowhere near the speed I was told I would get

The figure given by Plusnet is from the BT database and from that you should be less than 1km from the exchange.
Can you check here by putting in only your post code http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
Can you post the stats from your router and the Current Line Speed from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Just to add the information from the BT checker is rubbish - with an ADSL speed of 3.5Mbps there is no way at all you would get the downstream speeds between 5.5Mbps and 15Mbps on ADSL2+
I suggest you remove your telephone number from the image
46and2
Dabbler

Thanks for the swift respones oldjim, I have attached the screenshots of the tests.
The intersting thing is that current line speed test is from my old address?  Very odd!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Given the distance from the exchange either the wire goes halfway round the village before reaching you or there is a problem
Can you post the stats from the router - note downstream attenuation should be about 16dB based on line length  via road
46and2
Dabbler

How do I get my router stats?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

46and2
Dabbler

Cheers!  Can't make head nor tail of it though!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I was wrong - it doesn't go half way round the village - it goes round it twice as well as up and down the hill.
The easy answer is you won't get much better speeds but it might be worth trying the test socket and see if the speed increases a bit
46and2
Dabbler

Bugger!  Knew I should have moved to Virgin, at these speeds I'm better off using my dongle.  Ah well, I'll see my contract out and move on.
godsell4
Rising Star

You need to ask PN to put you onto an ADSL2+ connection, then you will see 'upto 24Mb' speeds.
Right now you are on an 'upto 8Mb' connection, we know this because your router indicated your connected on a G992.3 connection.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
46and2
Dabbler

That sounds like a plan!  I'll ask them.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: godsell4
Right now you are on an 'upto 8Mb' connection, we know this because your router indicated your connected on a G992.3 connection.

The OP is on ADSL2+, G922.3 is ADSL2 which will sometimes be used if the router finds it to be more stable. I'd be interested to see if the attenuation changes when in the test socket, as the BT availability checker does seem to indicate much higher speeds.
Jojo Smiley
godsell4
Rising Star

In that case!
Agreed, results from the router connected to the test socket are essential.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Method0ne
Grafter

I'll add a +1 here to checking out your stats from the test socket, as prior to my upgrade to adsl2 I was running some tests and found that my faceplate had a couple of pins bent out of shape, which caused SNR issues, once I straightened the pins, it was fine and my speed increased from ~5.5mbps to 7mbps.
I've since binned the faceplate, as I have no extension wiring anyway so I see no reason not to keep my router connected at the optimal point.
46and2
Dabbler

Thanks all, time to get my screwdriver out!