cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now not quite so Disappointed by FTTC

peterbarker
Grafter

Now not quite so Disappointed by FTTC

Yesterday my FTTC was installed.  I live close to the Cabinet, so my projected speed was 37 Mps.  After almost 36 hours my download speed remains at 4.2 mps, which is not much faster than my previous non-fibre broadband.  Upload is much faster now at 1.8 Mps.  
The Plusnet Fibre setup guide says "Don't worry if the speed seems a little slow at first.  In most cases the speed will increase within a few hours. "   However, neither download nor upload speeds have increased at all since installation, almost 36 hours ago.
A friend thinks (due to go onto Plusnet FTTC next week) that he read that it can take up to 48 hours to get the speed sorted out.  I have not seen this myself and he can't trace where he read it.  Other posts on this forum refer to a wait of 24 hours before the full potential of fibre is realised.  
It would appreciate knowing what other people's experience has been and whether my installation may have a fault.
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Disappointed by FTTC

peterbarker
Grafter

Hi Jim
Thank you for your reply.
The link gives accurate for broadband speeds that can be achieved on my line.  Yes, I agree.
However, my question is about about FTTC, which was installed yesterday.  So far, not significantly better than normal broadband.
Are you saying that on my line FTTC speeds will be similar to normal broadband or have I misunderstood?
Peter
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I am saying that the thing which is limiting you is the Current Line Speed which I assumed hasn't changed to reflect the fact that you are on FTTC
peterbarker
Grafter

Hi Jim
Thanks.
My FTTC maximum speed is limited to my Current Line Speed?
But Plusnet estimated 37 Mbps, far beyond my Current Line Speed.  My BT engineer said that 37 Mbps was a realistic figure for my line. 
I am wondering where have the missing 33 Mps gone?  It seems that I may never see them?
Peter
Oldjim
Resting Legend

because it hasn't updated to reflect the fact that you have moved to FTTC
either phone, raise a ticket or wait for a rep on Monday - it's up to you
peterbarker
Grafter

Hi Jim
Thanks for your suggestions.  I will consider the options, but hopefully it will resolve itself next week (Saturday and Sunday being non-working days).
with regards
Peter
JEB
Grafter

Try disconnecting and reconnecting your PPP session on your router.  This should hopefully update your line speed.

James
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: grecian
My FTTC maximum speed is limited to my Current Line Speed?

When you follow the link that Oldjim provided, the value reported as "Current Line Speed" is the speed reported by BT to Plusnet as the current speed of your line - and BT require that Plusnet do not send data any faster than that.
However, when you switch from ADSL to FTTC, this parameter doesn't always get updated to the new value suitable for fibre connections (it should say "37 Mb"). Or worse, it can change back to an ADSL speed a few hours after the upgrade.
So, if the "current line speed" reported by that page is NOT 37 Mb, then it is causing Plusnet to slow your connection down.
So what value is this page reporting for you?
As an aside, your actual speed comes from the "IP Profile" value assigned by BT. You can see this value when you run a test at www.speedtester.bt.com - it is displayed while the test is running (two different values, one for downstream and one for upstream), and shown in the results.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
peterbarker
Grafter

The link posted by Oldjim shows my Estimated Line Speed 4 MB and my Current Line Speed 4.5.   I have tried various on-line speed testers, including the one recommended by Plusnet: http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ .  All consistently show my speed as 4.2 MB, which accords with the figures from the link.
So I believe nothing will change until my parameters are adjusted.  
I have added this issue to an existing question, but no reply received yet.
I can't open a new question, as I have 3 open questions that I can't close. (They are not really questions, just information from Plusnet to tell me about my FTTC installation date etc.)
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

You can phone - help desk is open 24/7, and should be able to adjust your Current Line Speed for you.
peterbarker
Grafter

Re: Now not quite so Disappointed by FTTC

Thanks Jaggies.  I rang Plusnet and as suspected my line speed should have been adjusted for FTTC.  So the Plusnet person did so immediately and my upload speed immediately went to 26 MBs and download 1.8 MBs.  Hopefully there will be greater speed to come, but this is much more like I expected.