Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notification of move to 21CN

minimos
Grafter

Notification of move to 21CN

Hi,
I am a little confused by an email I have received from Plus.net notifying me of changes to my account.
Basically, I have been informed that I will be moved from ‘up to 8mb' ASDL to 'up to 8mb' ASDL on the new 21CN network.  Now this is where I am confused, I thought when the changes happened if you were on the new packages or the old pro package (which I am) you would be moved across to ASDL2+.  I relapse that with my sync speed of the mid 5,000 will probably not increase my downstream, but there could be benefits with the upstream.
Can anyone explain to me what Plus's migration strategy is, as I thought I'd cracked it weeks ago but this notification has muddied the waters again for me
Cheers
Minimos
12 REPLIES 12
scootie
Grafter

Re: Notification of move to 21CN

am not sure if they cap your upstream to 448kbps as when i pick to sync with g.dmt i can get 800kbps upstream on my longish line on the full adsl2+ product, There ment to port you over to 21cn network and lock you down to g.dmt adsl and i asume thats upload as well.
if you choice to move to the adsl2+ product the change only takes 1 working day instead of 5 once they have made this move to 21cn for you
coastergrotto
Grafter

Must admit I'm slightly confused too.  I received the same email which says:
We will be switching your service over on a like-for-like basis to ADSL rather than ADSL2+, so there will be no need to change any settings on your ADSL router. You will remain on 'up to 8Mbps' speeds but are likely to see a better broadband performance when you're on the new network

I was thinking of switching over to the new Premium package anyway as it is the same price as my current Unlimited one, but this email has clouded the issue somewhat, particularly when it goes on to say:
There may be a brief drop in connection for about 5 minutes on the day of the switch over and your speeds may fluctuate a little within the first 10 days after reconnection.

If I'm thinking of switching anyway, would I be better to do it now, rather than wait?
scootie
Grafter

but are likely to see a better broadband performance when you're on the new network

they need to clear that up as it confuses me, it could mean a few things that i know of that might be diffrent on g.dmt mode on 21cn compared to 20cn
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I imagine the email you received is related to the like-to-like (up-to-8Mbps) migration to 21CN that is taking place to make better use of available network capacity. This is mentioned in the following Service Status Post:
We're continuing the migration of small numbers of 'Up to 8Mbps' customers to the 21CN. We're emailing each of these customers in advance to let them know about it, although we're confident it will result in an improved experience.

So you are being migrated to 21CN but not to ADSL2+ (at this stage).
David
David
scootie
Grafter

but why say
but are likely to see a better broadband performance when you're on the new network

its this which confuses the issue as if its a like for like switch the end user will not notice any diffrence unless there 20cn exchange has a hot vp pipe of cause
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

My impression was the primary aim was to improve routing/throughput at the Plusnet end, hence 'better experience' (the term used in Service Status) which equates to 'performance' (as used in the email) in the sense that speeds should be closer to profile-related values.
I'm uncertain what criterion has been used for selecting customers to migrate though I think they wanted to avoid lines likely to have problems.
David
David
Bojangles
Grafter

Is everyone going to end up on the 21CN?
scootie
Grafter

over time probally yes.
well i think the better performance bit should be taken out the email, how can they move people from 20cn to 21cn with the midnight latency and have the  Lips_are_sealed to say there going to see better perfomance. if i was in those batch moves and a gamer i would be wanting to know the truth. but hay thet cant even find that out because they made a mess of the 21cn service status link so its not a widely know issue and reads as a green light because of this for 21cn on the service status.
21cn is anything but a green light at the monment, a one legged dog can get from a to b faster than my packets at midnight
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: ASBO
over time probally yes.

But you can refuse to be migratifried.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mand
Grafter

Re:Notification of move to 21CN

Hi guys,
We're doing like for like migrations for the time being, mainly to improve the user experience, but partly also to test the process of like for like migrations.
In addition, as these migrations are not on request we need to ensure we don't impact the service (for example if we move customers to ADSL2+ and they don't have compatible hardware their connection won't work).
The criteria was essentially random, assuming the exchange was enabled.
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: ASBO
but why say

its this which confuses the issue as if its a like for like switch the end user will not notice any diffrence unless there 20cn exchange has a hot vp pipe of cause

cough cough, whats the better perfomance outed in the email your sending out, certainly isnt latency and punters cant check the 21cn service staus to find out about this issue as the link dosent work for 21cn and surrposedly your on a code frezze so cant sort it out at the moment  Wink
Mand
Grafter

Re:Notification of move to 21CN

Hey ASBO Smiley
The better performance is not latency specific, but general performance. The 21CN links do not suffer from things like congested pipes, so there's no network imbalance or need to gateway hop. Also, there are very very few packet drops at all on 21CN, so general web activities will be improved.
The latency thing is something we're looking at separately, specific to 21CN.
We're not in code freeze per se anymore, but we are keeping very tight control over what gets rolled live for the time being.