Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not recieving any outside mail since the Postini 'Update'

mikeb
Rising Star

Re: Not recieving any outside mail since the Postini 'Update'

Quote from: Barry
I do think it's worthwhile investigating whether Postini are able to justify this behaviour.  IMHO, I can't think of any offhand reason why a second pass through Postini is rejected?

Because it's very much open to abuse and the easy solution is to simply delay indefinitely or reject the message outright rather than establish if there are genuine reasons (which postini could obviously verify as being entirely correct and justifiable) why the message has been seen before.
I see it as exactly the same reason as for why postini has problems with some 100% genuine messages and routinely considers them as spam. It's simply easier not to do a thorough and accurate job Wink

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
zubel
Community Veteran

I must be missing something if it's decided to be open to abuse though?
A second pass is already "identified" by the Message ID - this is why we're getting the #451 rejections.
Ok, unusual routing may mean that it passes through twice - but what has changed?  It's still the same message, and is identified as the same message so should score identically?
B.
mikeb
Rising Star

Consider what would happen if you added forged postini headers to a message. If postini didn't refuse the message or accept it but remove the forged headers then it is entirely conceivable that the message would pass through and get a second set of postini headers added but that PN would take action on the forged headers rather than the genuine headers !
As there are some good reasons why a message may be seen twice, postini should accept that fact and deal with it appropriately. I believe that means evaluating why the headers are there and either verifying that it is a totally acceptable situation or determining that it is just someone trying to be clever and looking for a possible way of circumventing the system. postini appear to be taking the easy option of just assuming that the existence of postini headers in a received message is an attempt to bypass and/or confuse the system into accepting potential spam. As I said before, I see it as exactly the same situation as not re-testing a message which was initially classified as spam to establish if it is indeed spam rather than a genuine message that just so happens to have the basic signature of some flavour of spam.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Barry and I have set up a little test - I have a redirect on my account pointing to a mailbox on his account. I suspect we will have some news later!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've just set up a 'Forward a copy to my home PN account' on my local account on Exchange at work.
I then sent 2 test emails from my Hotmail account to work which would normally be copied to my home account.
So far nothing has arrived in my home account inbox.
I await developments as this is something I set up occasionally for people on holiday who foolishly wish to stay in touch with work. Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
zubel
Community Veteran

And the test arrived..
Munged headers for inspection:
Envelope-to: test-address@jelvs-email
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:23:23 +0000
Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1] helo=pih-sunmxcore13.plus.net)
  by pih-sunmxcore13.plus.net with esmtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1JGwcV-00055y-5f
  for test-address@jelvs-email; Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:23:23 +0000

Received: from exprod5mx227.postini.com ([64.18.0.86] helo=psmtp.com)
  by pih-sunmxcore13.plus.net with smtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1JGwcU-00052w-1x
  for test-address@jelvs-email; Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:23:22 +0000
Received: from source ([83.244.140.18]) by exprod5mx227.postini.com ([64.18.4.14]) with SMTP;
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 05:23:20 PST
Received: from 86.138.63.2 ([86.138.63.2]) by cieh-exch01.cieh.org ([192.168.100.31]) with Microsoft Exchange Server HTTP-DAV ;
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:23:08 +0000
MIME-Version: 1.0
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="_BC4EB552-FBDC-4268-BFCC-E74DE6344B35_"
Subject: Test of redirect
To: "test-address@jelvs-email" <test-address@jelvs-email>
Thread-Topic: Test of redirect
Thread-Index: AchcMHWb1LP6BOxOS7izApeqhyzojA==
Message-ID: <E354975D-596C-4A7D-B47D-075C3FC741D6@mimectl>
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Web Access 6.5.7651.60
X-MimeCtl: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.5.7651.60
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:20:58 +0000
X-pstn-neptune: 10/9/0.90/82
X-pstn-levels:    (S:81.87360/99.90000 R:95.9108 P:95.9108 M:97.0282 C:98.6951 )
X-pstn-settings: 1 (0.1500:0.1500) gt3 gt2 gt1 r p m c
X-pstn-addresses: from <jelvs-email@address> [db-null]
X-PN-VirusFiltered: by PlusNet MXCore (v4.00)
X-PN-Spam-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v4.00)

So, in this case, I'm guessing that the final Exim delivery handled by pih-sunmxcore13.plus.net is "aware" of the local redirect and passes it directly to local delivery (as evidenced by the pih-sunmxcore13 -> pih-sunmxcore13 transit highlighted in bold.
Of course, if the redirect is external then the local mailer won't be aware of a local delivery option, so will route it via MX records which is what happened to TheChallenger.
mikeb:  when a message is re-routed via Postini then surely Postini can:
a)  Detect whether the message has genuinely passed through Postini before (via MessageId - as this is causing the #451 currently)
b)  If (a) is true, then strip out any Postini headers, re-score the message, and add new headers.
B.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Barry,
I've sent you another test to you@myhosteddomain.me.uk - has that arrived?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
zubel
Community Veteran

Yep, both came through loud and clear.
So, it seems like the Plusnet relays are definately "alias-aware" and avoid re-sending through Postini if a local delivery method is available (which is good news ;D)
The problem only occurs when MX records cause a redirect back through Postini.
I wonder if the esteemed Bob could garner some feedback from Postini about this?
B.
mikeb
Rising Star

Quote from: Barry
when a message is re-routed via Postini then surely Postini can: ....

Yes of course they could.  After all, there is just about always a realistic and sensible solution to just about any potential problem ... it's just that it's most often so much easier not to find one but to make wild and unfounded assumptions and act on them instead !
Similarly, they could re-test messages that have been initially classified as spam to establish if they are actually totally genuine messages ... but they don't appear to.  Looking at some (most) of the false positives that have been highlighted by users various, I think it's pretty easy to come up with a fairly generic test to confirm with a reasonably high level of confidence that whilst they may well have the basic signature of some flavour of spam they are in fact totally genuine.
Edited to add: I'm pretty sure that I saw more than a few complaints about both these problems when I was researching postini ages ago but I can't find examples to post at the mo.  I got the distinct impression that 'going round the loop twice' and false positive issues were a sad fact of life and that postini have made no real attempt to address either problem over a lengthy period of time.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

It's on my list of things to do Barry. Good news about the local redirects though, you had me worried for a second! Wink
I can't imagine there will be many people in a situation similar to TheChallenger's however this has been noted for investigation nonetheless.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Strat
Community Veteran

So it's no good me telling Exchange to redirect my mail home as it won't arrive. Sad
Quote from: Bob
this has been noted for investigation nonetheless.

That makes me feel wanted Undecided Grin
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
zubel
Community Veteran

Is your work email protected by Postini, Strat?
B.
Strat
Community Veteran

Both work and home....that's the problem Barry.

Edit: But if I forward to my Hotmail account....... Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran

If it's a 451, how long before I get an NDR?

PS Sorry Plain English supporters but it has to be done Wink
zubel
Community Veteran

Good question!
It actually depends on your Exchange server which will be attempting to deliver to Postini on your behalf.
Certainly, the PN relays gave me a 4h, then a 24h, and 48h "reminder" saying they were attempting to redeliver.
I finally got an NDR 96 hours after initial delivery attempt.
B.