cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not off to a good start...

tcooper1
Hooked

Not off to a good start...

Hi all, hopefully you will be able to help me.

I recently, as of last Friday, changed back over to Plusnet from Virgin as I was paying out of the nose with Virgin for what I thought were slow speeds. After changing over to PN I was confident I would have the same speeds for a lot less money. 

I was receiving 12MB/s with Virgin and was willing to take the hit of a few MB/s switching over, however after switching over I am receiving only 600 - 800 KB/s, I have tested my speeds and it is showing an average of 6MB/s for our connection. I got in contact with technical support this morning who said the phone line was fine and it was probably one of my devices draining the connection speed. I have reset the router, disconnected and reconnected the devices to see if this was the fault but nothing has changed. 

I would normally be more patient with a problem like this, however as I'm sure the case is with a lot of people, both myself and my partner are working from home and need a fast stable connection at the moment.

I've attached both my router settings. Any help would be massively appreciated !

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Post released from Auto Spam Filter.

13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Not off to a good start...

@tcooper1 Welcome to the forums. Looking at that data, I would say that it must be your equipment doing something wrong.

All the settings that could point to an external fault are not doing so, but (and I don't why, sorry) your Wi-Fi connection (line 22) looks wrong to me at only up to 54Mb/s - I'm certain it should be higher than that, but I'm not a router expert, so you might need someone with a bit more knowledge in that area.

John
tcooper1
Hooked

Thanks for the reply! I have given that a switch to a higher setting yet sadly to no avail.

I should mention that we have two devices connected at present, one desktop with a wired connection averaging 600 - 700 KB/s and a laptop with a wireless connection averaging 300 - 400 KB/s.

Tim 

jab1
Legend

Thanks for coming back with that information. Where are are you getting those speed figures from? Can you run a speed test on both machines using  https://www.speedtest.net/ and post screen shots of the results, please?

John
tcooper1
Hooked

Sorry, the download speeds are from various clients we are both using, Steam and iTunes to name a few. 

Here are the SS's

LaptopLaptopDesktopDesktop

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@tcooper1 

The 2704N Hub is a very poor device. The wireless is very poor and it suffers badly from buffer bloat. This means that if you are uploading data it seriously cripples the download speed.

I feel like a broken record on this forum advising people to go onto an auction site such as EBay and spending about £20 on a BT Smarthub 6. These work on both ADSL and fibre. Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@tcooper1 

Having read your previous posts I note that you are reporting speeds of around 700kBps with a capital B. Are you aware that there are 8 bits with a small b in a Byte? So 700kBps is the same as 5,600 Kbps or 5.6 Mbps.

However your Hub is still rubbish!

Moderator and Customer

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 Thanks - that was going to be my next possible answer.Smiley

@tcooper1 Those Speedtest.net results look a little healthier, but still not what I personally would expect, given the max rates in your original post.

Are you doing a lot of uploading? If so, Balrick1's suggestion is a good one, and even if you aren't the HH6 is a superior router.

John
tcooper1
Hooked

Hi again everyone, so I have managed to get a BT Business Smart hub which is only a few years old and managed to connect that using the instructions Baldrick1 posted earlier yet the download speeds are still about 250 kilobytes of of 1 megabyte, seems that nothing has changed.

Anything else I could try?

Tim

Baldrick1

@tcooper1 wrote:

... the download speeds are still about 250 kilobytes of of 1 megabyte,

Do you mean that you are only getting 2Mb/s not the 8Mb/s plus that yout router is synched at?

Did you separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands as instructed in my setting instructions? If so have you tried each band to see which works best?

Have you checked your speed using an Ethernet cable directly between your router and a computer, not wireless?

Moderator and Customer

tcooper1
Hooked

I am only getting 750 kilobytes a second on my wired connection and around 400 kilobytes a second on a wireless connection, on the wireless I have tried separating and testing each band separately.

Baldrick1

Post replicated so deleted.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@tcooper1 

So let's rceap. The router download rate is reported as 7611 bits per second, Because of overheads your best actual download speed will be a bit less than this. You are actually measuring 6000 bits per second, which I agree is a bit low.

You say that previously you were getting 12MB/s. Presumably you meant 12 mb/s Unless you were previoualy on a fast cabled service. If this is the case then you should have taken the FTTC fibre option when you signed up to Plusnet, not ADSL for the nearest equivalent service, (depending on availability and how close you are to a FTTC street cabinet).

When you do your speed testing is every thing else disconnected from the internet? How close are you to the hub when conducting a wireless test?

Moderator and Customer

tcooper1
Hooked

With hindsight I would have subscribe to the best service available however this current package was the fastest available.

Here are two examples of the speed we are actually experiencing:

Steam ClientSteam ClientNvdia ClientNvdia Client 

When I carry out the test for the wireless I'm literally 1 M away with nothing in-between the router and the device.

Tim