cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not loving the Technicolor...

BurtieLad

Not loving the Technicolor...

...... but would like to try and get on with it.
I hadn't realised that the 582n was so heavily locked down and am in desperate need of a number of things. I run a Sonos system alongside my wifi and need to configure that alongside but more importantly, I need to set up remote access to my wifi, including IP cameras, my Synology NAS, WOL, etc. For this I need to set up my port forwarding or NAT and cannot make head nor tail of the settings. Am I going to have to telnet in to do all of this?
Used to a GUI having had a Netgear DG834N and am now seriously considering getting a DrayTek Vigor 2850Vn. If I do decide to shell out so much for one, will it actually replace the Openreach modem too? I would ideally prefer an all-in-one like my Netgear was.
Would really welcome some guidance please Smiley
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Not loving the Technicolor...

Hi there,
I believe you can use the GUI to forward ports though I'm afraid not having one myself I can't really advise how - no doubt though someone more knowledgeable will come along soon though Smiley
As for replacing it with a fibre router with built in modem, you can do and yes it will replace everything - though you'll need to keep the Openreach modem handy in case you have any faults as that's currently the only supported hardware.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

This will help with port forwarding:
http://www.o2help.co.uk/router-port-forwarding/
This will show how to configure wake on lan (WOL)
http://npr.me.uk/wol.html
Neither requiring telnet Wink
If you do take the trouble to learn a few telnet command you'll find it to be one of the most configurable routers you can get.
BurtieLad

Thanks for that. Got my ip cameras up and running, Sonos now sorted and remote NAS access sorted. All good so far, much appreciated.  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Glad you've got it all up and running -- and without having to buy a over priced router  Cheesy