cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not happy with speed

greshoff
Grafter

Not happy with speed

My broadband has been transferred from Be to plusnet. My line went active last night. I have done a speed test and I am getting less than half the speed I got with Be. This is also less than  half the speed estimated by Plusnet. I am not happy about this. Here is my speed test results. I am using a Billion 7800 DXL router
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/139227740299933935959.png
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Not happy with speed

Please provide the information requested here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi greshoff,
I've just run some diagnostics and can't see any obvious issues. Are you connecting over wireless or ethernet at present? If it's wireless can you run another test with your computer connected directly to the router using a network cable?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
greshoff
Grafter

Connected using Ethernet cable. Just rerun speed test and got the following:
Upload: 11.16
Download: 0.35
Latency: 38.50

[Moderator's note by Adie (dvorak):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]
greshoff
Grafter

Could a Plusnet staff member let me know what the noise ratio is set to on my line?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi greshoff,
It's 6.1 at present. It definitely looks like there's some depreciation caused by WiFi (which is to be expected to a degree)
I'd not want to consider an SNR reset as it looks like the connection has dropped in and out a far bit today, have you been rebooting the router at all today? If not Raising a fault would be a good idea:
http://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
greshoff
Grafter

I was told that a fault could not be raised until the 10 day training period was over.  Are you saying I can raise a fault before this? Yes the router has been rebooted as I checked speeds with two different routers.
dick:quote
greshoff
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Please provide the information requested here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html

Here are my router stats and speedtest results
Oldjim
Resting Legend

There isn't too much wrong with those stats although you need the upload uncapping (Note that download default noise margin is 6dB which is the normal starting point)
However the speedtest is low
Was the speed test wired or wireless and what does this give for Current Line Speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
greshoff
Grafter

Speedtest done via Ethernet cable to router. Current line speed from the link you provided
Oldjim
Resting Legend

In which case I can't explain the slightly low speed test - I would have expected about 15 - 15.5Mbps
greshoff
Grafter

That is what I was getting when I was on BE before moving to Plusnet. I am disappointed about the speeds both down & up
Oldjim
Resting Legend

up will be easily fixed and looking at your errors in the router stats a default downstream noise margin of 3dB may well be possible after the training period
greshoff
Grafter

I guess I just need to wait until the training period is over and then reassess. I have requested that the upload cap be removed. I was told and reassured in another thread by Plusnet staff that my upload wouldn't be capped. Disappointed that this was not the case. All in all my start with Plusnet has been a disappointment
greshoff
Grafter

According to BT wholesale Speed checker my speeds are now:
Download - 15.51 Mbps
Upload - 1.05 Mbps
Ping Latency - 23.13
These are what I was getting with BE however the internet feels slow and one has to wait for pages to load etc. Any advice on this?