cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not good. My plusnet's totally dead

nutter123
Dabbler

Not good. My plusnet's totally dead

I had plusnet investigate a speed fault. Was slow for a few days but was having it going at reasonable speeds again after a line check earlier. Now just after half 7...the light opn my router went black. Plugged a phone into the filter to test the line and no ring tone either. Could that have been plusnet doing the tests? Results came back inconclusive BTW.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Not good. My plusnet's totally dead

It is very unlikely that any tests could knacker your connection unless BT were playing about at the exchange
nutter123
Dabbler

Not seen anything BT Wise or know of BT doing any work on anything. I've added it to the speed fault but seems unlikely now it's gonna be fixed tonight I assume?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Looking at our logs you've had a fairly flaky connection the last few days, which will have resulted in the fluctuating speeds.
If the line has now gone altogether you'd be best raising a PSTN fault as these tend to get fixed quicker than broadband faults, and fixing the PSTN will likely fix the broadband.
You'd need to contact your 'phone provider to get the line checked out, being careful not to mention broadband.
nutter123
Dabbler

Raised something with BT. Their initial check on their website told me a fault likely near my home? whatever that means.  Tongue The connection itself was actually going fast again infact was probably having my best speeds I was getting so far from plusnet from 5 this afternoon (while the line was being tested which is a weird coincidence)  Tongue went down at half 7 and whoosh it's dead as a dodo
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Phone lines with bad connections have been known to stop working (no dial tone) but the broadband signal still gets through!
Also lines with bad connections can crackle and make lots of other intermittent noises and this can all disappear (even dial tone re-appear) when someone rings you. This is because the ringing current temporarily cleans the bad joint. If this happens before the engineer turns up, tell him it's gone intermittent - started, stopped and started working again Wink Make sure the engineer goes and checks cables and joints.
Otherwise if you end up with it working again, you may have to wait until the line crackles or you lose dial tone before reporting it again to your phone line provider (not mentioning Broadband as already advised).
Note - if you have a crackling phone line, until it is fixed, it is likely to mess up your broadband.
nutter123
Dabbler

I've not really got too much of a history of a crackly line. Was doing quiet line tests the other day (got a topic on going on the 21CN part of the forum) and somebody advised I should do a line test/quiet thingy.  Never heard 1 bit of crackles. As I said everything was working totally fine yesterday for the most part. After I had submitted a fault to plusnet..everything was working great infact ,y broadvabd was faster than ever. Stopped working at half 7 and has done ever since/ Fix not estimated to tomorrow either.  I've put in the notes was talking to somebody on phone when line just died (dunno how good that will be) Must admit a day having to use wireless broadband is a bit frustrating but hopefully touch wood this is the big prob I have with plusnet and nothing else after this (I'll be keeping the line in the test socket also after this too as i've heard that's beter in the long run) hopefully a bit of stablisation/settling down and I can at long last use plusnet at decent levels.