cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy line with broadband connected

wsmithplusnet
Dabbler

Noisy line with broadband connected

A couple of weeks into my new phone line and broadband with Plusnet and I've noticed disconnections happening when calls are made or received.
There's also bad line noise when the router is connected which goes when it is unplugged.
I've tried all things mentioned on support pages here and from plusnet support, i.e.
- Plugged directly into master socket (although there's no other points in the house anyway)
- Bought another router (with a fun trip to argos where they sold me a used one with someone elses login details, nice.)
- Tried four different filters
- Made sure no nearby electronics could be interfering by moving them away
- Tried with corded phone
The latest is interleaving has been turned on, if it wasn't already. But will this help with the line noise?
My line stats are:
Mode: G.DMT
Type: Interleave
Line Coding: Trellis On
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 11.4 13.0
Attenuation (dB): 21.0 11.5
Output Power (dBm): 12.2 19.8
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 3904 852
Rate (Kbps): 3616 448
So interleaving appears to be on but I am still getting disconnects on phone calls and the line noise is the same.
To me this sounds like a possible HR dis problem? The master socket was only installed by OR a week or two ago as part of my new plusnet phone package (which I really value when I can hear the other person over the line noise :))
10 REPLIES 10
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Noisy line with broadband connected

Hi wsmith,
One of the faults guys should call you shortly about this.
Jojo Smiley
wsmithplusnet
Dabbler

Yes they have thanks Jo.  Smiley
wsmithplusnet
Dabbler

I'm hesitant to say this in case I jinx it, but after identifying a fault with the line, the broadband Openreach guy seems to have fixed it, despite saying it would require another engineer who could deal with the underground cables to visit. Maybe he came around and didn't call in to let me know the work was done.
Anyway, many thanks go to Jojo, Dave and Lee. Both plusnet and Openreach have exceeded my expectations and it is much appreciated.
Oh, one question though...
My line stats are now:
SNR Margin (dB): 12.6 24.0
Attenuation (dB): 19.0 10.0
Output Power (dBm): 12.2 19.8
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 8640 1212
Rate (Kbps): 7808 448
But in my plusnet control panel I'm seeing "Current line speed: 2.5 Mb"
How long will this take to update and does it need a nudge? Cheesy
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Potentially 3 days. The first stage is for the BT Wholesale systems to increase your IP Profile to 6500kbps (shown by a test at http://www.speedtester.bt.com).
BT pass a delta report to Plusnet and Current line speed should automatically update to match within 12 hours. Your PPP session (Internet) should drop and reconnect when the change takes place.
In the meantime I suggest leaving the router connected 24x7. After a few days with a stable connection, and since a fault has been repaired, Plusnet may agree to reset your line, the target noise margin going down to 6dB and the training period restarting. If interleaving is also turned off I would expect you to get an 8128kbps sync. Smiley
When is ADSL2+ due on your exchange (http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/)?
David
wsmithplusnet
Dabbler

Thanks for your detailed and helpful reply spraxyt! An 8128 sync sounds very nice. Unfortunately I live out in the sticks and there's no ADSL2+ date currently.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Is it all ok now, seems so from here? Smiley
wsmithplusnet
Dabbler

The line is stable now cheers Joe. I have been connected for about 30 days with no problems. Only re-connected the other day to check if it would help reset my line speed which is still stuck at 6.5, despite syncing higher.
Is there any way to get the line speed limit raised please?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi wsmith,
Your BT profile is also at 6500, the maximum for an interleaved up to 8mb/s line. If we turn off interleaving you'd probably get the 7150 profile though, please let us know if you'd like us to go ahead with that?
wsmithplusnet
Dabbler

Thanks for the info Matt. I turned off interleaving in the control panel about a week ago but if you need to do something as well, that would be appreciated.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries, it's actually set to Auto I'm afraid so may still be on there. I've just placed an order to remove it for you, that should complete tomorrow. Once it does we'll see what we can do about the profile for you.