Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy Router Investigation

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Noisy Router Investigation

Yes, but as the thread at the time stated we only had a few of those and they were available for a trial. We didn't have enough at the time to send them out to everyone who requested, so certainly don't have any left now to send out I'm afraid.
GeoJ
Dabbler

Disappointed to report that my replacement "latest Thompson 4 port router" whistles.
Back in June, Matt indicated that the next batch of routers would include a fix for this problem. Can you tell us when will they be available?
Quote from: Matt
We’ve identified a solution which is to introduce a capacitor to remove the 4Khz harmonic without any negative effects (this component is normally present in TG582n devices with the USB port).

The routers with USB ports are not affected because they already contain this extra component which stops this noise, this component is part of the dying gasp circuitry which is not present in the non-USB version. We’ll be making a change in our next manufacturing run which is scheduled for the end of June, these take a while to come from China so will begin shipping to customers later in the year.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

@GeoJ
I presume your new router doesn't have a USB port? Let me know and I'll chase this up.
GeoJ
Dabbler

@chrispurvey
You are correct, this one doesn't have a USB port.
The silent USB one that you supplied from this thread unfortunately stopped working.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

What is the problem with the USB one that you have, do you know why this is not working?
I'll arrange to get another shipped out for you.
GeoJ
Dabbler

@chrispurvey
On two occasions in a week it literally stopped working. The Wifi signal disappeared and all the lights were off. The top of the router was still warm though. Power cycled and it was still dead. It would only power up if left unplugged for a few hours. I still have it if you want it back.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll let our products team know and if we need it we'll send a returns bag along with the new one.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi Chris,
A few weeks ago I received a new TG582n router (without USB port) and can confirm it has the annoying high pitched whine. Would it possible to explore getting this rectified?
Mathew
Damian78
Grafter

I swear mines whistling again Sad
Its silent replacement with USB port died and its replacement is now whistling.
Are the new black Thomson routers available yet for replacements?
max360

Hello,
Had my service activated with Plusnet (business broadband unlimited) couple of months ago. My TG582n router (without the USB port) has the annoying high pitched whistle. Would it be possible to get a replacement router please?
Many thanks,
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'll take a look at these 3. I'm pretty sure that the routers we now have in the warehouse don't have the same noise (different batch that have this issue fixed).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

I've dispatched replacements for these 3 routers, all from the new batch.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Damian78
Grafter

Thanks. Take it these aren't the newer black ones I heard people were testing?
Chris
Legend

No, these are still the 582n routers. The black ones are 589s.
Damian78
Grafter

Any chance of a 589? Smiley