Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy Router Investigation

rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Noisy Router Investigation

Mine doesn't sound as loud as that either I have to say.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It's not so much the volume it's the pitch (or words to that effect).
Damian78
Grafter

Hi,
Forgot about this thread and just caught the postman today with a new router.
This one has the USB port (I assume for hosting files over the network). Does this mean I can't use the 10.? Demo firmware on my ADSL connection?
Anotherone
Champion

What firmware has it got on it at present? There is some different firmware going out on replacement modem/routers. Unless you are having a problem with it or need the extra functions I wouldn't change immediately. See how well the current firmware meets your needs. Post up the full stats on your Faceplate thread.
Damian78
Grafter

Ok.
Will try it shortly however it's already annoying me as its missing a rubber foot so won't sit still 😞
Damian78
Grafter

My line reset today about 2 hours ago.
Not sure why as no one was online. Hmmm...my SNR has dropped to 4.6dB too.
Will try the new router after manually disconnecting.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Damian78
Will try it shortly however it's already annoying me as its missing a rubber foot so won't sit still 😞

It seems that only some people are able to discern small movement due to a missing rubber foot. There have been one or two reports from other customers. Do you think you could record this missing foot? Cheesy Crazy
Damian78
Grafter

Phew.
New router is now silent and removed a rubber foot off the old router. It's on firmware revision 8.4.4.J I think.
Will there be a revision for the USB enabled routers soon? It seemed to improve my Wifi connection when I upgraded the noisy one.
Anotherone
Champion

see this thread but you should wait until it's confirmed that the USB port is supported in ADSL mode. But also check the current version by logging into the Modem/router, if it's not 8.4.4.J you might want to check how it's performing as you won't be able to get it back again if an upgrade isn't satisfactory.
Damian78
Grafter

Its on 8.4.4.J.
Does the FTTC firmware work ok on ADSL?
Anotherone
Champion

Best to wait and see the follow up posts on that thread. Have a read through all the posts. A couple of users are testing it.
andy265
Grafter

Quote from: chrispurvey
@andy265
I'm going to arrange deliver of a new router for you

Got it today, thanks!
New router makes no noise at all. I'll get the old one on its way back to you Monday.
Damian78
Grafter

Aside from the USB port...what is different with the routers?
andy265
Grafter

Quote from: chrispurvey
If you could send the router and power supply in the returns bag

I got two returns bags, a Plusnet one in the bag with the new router, and a BT one posted separately. I assume it's the Plusnet one I'm sending it back in?
Anotherone
Champion

@andy265
As it seems you transferred from BT Broadband, I guess the BT one is for your HomeHub, but you'll need to check your BT Ts&Cs they could well be entitled to it back. The Plusnet one would be for the PN modem/router, someone from the DCT could no doubt confirm that on Monday if you have any doubts.
@Damian78
Depends what you meant by what's the difference with the Routers. Initial ADSL modem/routers sent out had a USB port, later ones did not. AFAIK it's some of these later ones that had the noise problem. All the Fibre Router ones all had/have a USB port AFAIK and are flashed with different firmware that turns a LAN port to a WAN for Fibre, so you only have 3 LAN ports on Fibre.
The latest DEMO firmware appears to support both modes and USB on Fibre but waiting for confirmation of USB support in ADSL mode - it should do, but it would be wise to see what reports comeback from initial tests. As you might have a line issue it would be wise to wait a while and see how the new router pans out before changing any firmware..