Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy Phone and Slow ADSL

ppgray
Hooked

Noisy Phone and Slow ADSL

Hi
This is my first post, so hope it's in the right place.
I Have been having issue with ADSL dropping out over the past 9 months and initially thought it was an old router I had. So I changed it in September 2015, but after a few weeks the issue re-appeared.
So I reported the  fault to Plusnet and the arrange BTOR engineer to come out.
Long story short, but after several Engineer visits BT have now agreed that the problem is the Cable between the Pole and Cabinet and need to replace the cable, about 125 metres.
I was talking to an ex Bt Engineer last week and he suggested that moving to Fibre may help the Phone qty and Broadband speed as the signal is modulated differently and might cause less interference.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this as an option, as I am not hopeful of BTOR replacing the cable very quickly.
Many Thanks
Paul Gray 
3 REPLIES 3
cedlor
Grafter

Re: Noisy Phone and Slow ADSL

I am in a similar position though for a different reason My line is affected by REIN between me and the cabinet and as OR allegedly could not find the source
I am now going for fibre . PN have said if it is no better than the adsl I can revert back to my old contract without penalty. The reason for this is that no-one seems to know if the REIN will still affect the signal , it covers different frequencies but so might the rein. Problem is that with FTTC you still rely on the SAME cable from the Cabinet to the router
as with the adsl.  In your case if the problem with the cable is physical my thought is that switching to FTTC will not stop the drop outs. Have you asked PN what they think?
Did they suggest any other reason for the drop outs than a faulty cable? and also ask them when the cable might be replaced. The cable is made up of pairs of wires and there are usually some spare - Did OR try swapping you onto a different pair?
  Can we assume you / engineer did all the checks on your internal equipment and are connected by ethernet not wireless.
Another thing is when the Broadband drops  does the phone still work and is the line crackly or hissing. Using a corded phone dial 17070 option2 and listen.
If the phone goes off that is a more persuasive reason to have the cable replaced than just the internet dropping. 
ppgray
Hooked

Thanks cedlor
The last BT Engineer that came and reported the faulty cable, was with me for about 2 1/2 hours. He tried 3 different spare pairs (all that was available) and they are all very noisy. The noise on the line is more Pops and Crackles than a hissing sound, which he suggested was causing the Dropouts as the router could not get a clean signal.
At the moment Broadband is working between 1 and 1.5mb (used to be 4-5mb) and the phone is more noisy when it's raining, which seems to suggest some kind of water ingress.
PN have advised that the next update from BTOR will be on the 1/2/2016.
I have tried 17070 and tried using the Internet at the same time and the Noise gets worse. If I just use the phone and dial 17070 you can still here the odd pop or crackle.
I will ring PN and ask there advice, but thought I would canvas opinion from the user network.
An added complication is the new cable needs to go under a large gas pipe and so BTOR will need Gas people to be available as well.
Thanks
cedlor
Grafter

Feel free to wait for others to respond - I only have a limited view and knowledge of this.
Please can you update as to how you go on - may help others in future. In fact I have just viewed another thread where
an engineer has visited and established it is an underground fault but he is not "Underground" trained so another engineer is needed.